FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will these SD cards drive down the price of p2

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
Will these SD cards drive down the price of p2
on Jan 14, 2009 at 9:12:48 pm

I did a search on this forum and didn't turn up and answer. Is there any speculation of P2 cards dropping in price due to the HMC. It would be nice to go the other route, I have an HVX, but I have too much money invested. I am addicted to the P2 cards and hope they go down so I can have a few more. I like my firestore, but it is too bulky.

I just added an edit to this post. Can the HVX record onto and SD card though the SD slot. I am reading the users manual and the formatting menu is the same. I want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Anyway, any speculation to drive down prices like the stock market would help (LOL).

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Will these SD cards drive down the price of p2
on Jan 15, 2009 at 6:25:50 am

I kinda doubt it. The reason why SD cards are cheap is because everyone makes them. Right now if you want a P2 card you have exactly one choice- Panasonic. Well there's also the Fuji ones but those are not widely available as of yet. Now Panasonic did invent P2 and they did a great job but it's hard not to see how a lack of competition doesn't keep the price higher than it needs to be.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Re: Will these SD cards drive down the price of p2
on Jan 15, 2009 at 11:44:48 am

[Noah Kadner] "Right now if you want a P2 card you have exactly one choice- Panasonic. Well there's also the Fuji ones but those are not widely available as of yet. Now Panasonic did invent P2 and they did a great job but it's hard not to see how a lack of competition doesn't keep the price higher than it needs to be."

Actually Fujifilm and Maxell are in the process of coming on board, but the pricing I have seen from them is at a similar level. The problem is that most people think much like you do Noah and believe that the card merely contains the same cheap memory that you see in SD cards. This is not true. The memory is not commercially available. It is why we can say over 100,000 rewrites. There is other technology that is in there as well that causes the cards to be expensive, like the Raid Controller, the LSI that watches over the integrity of the data and the 5 stops through the manufacturing process for QC. It is nothing like stamping out an SD card.

I hope this helps,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]