FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture and Crop?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Komer
Capture and Crop?
on Dec 24, 2008 at 1:43:01 pm

I shot some 25P letterboxed footage on a DVX100A, and have a couple questions...

1) When I captured the footage through iMovie (as a convenience. I'm going to edit on PC- so I let the Mac work as a capture tool for a moment and I don't have final cut on it) and then opened the DV clips with MediaTool, it tells me that the footage is interlaced. Why is that? Should I have toggled some other setting or used some other capture tool? I could use Premiere CS3 on the PC if it helps, but I like iMovie for quick captures like this where timecode isn't important.

2) What are the exact heights and y-coordinates of the black bars, or in other words- what is the height and starting point of the relevant area on the 720x576 letterboxed image? I could eyeball it, but it would be great to know the official answer :)

Thanks in advance,
David

Return to posts index

David Komer
Re: Capture and Crop?
on Dec 26, 2008 at 9:31:03 am

Ah, seems like question 1 was answered at-

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/917816

Though I'm still a little confused on, if I wanted to use the clip properly in premiere. I've set up a 25P project- i.e. same settings as PAL DV but no field ordering. The footage looks fine, but it needs to render. Seems like this is more of a compression question so I'll move it over to there...

For question 2, I understand that the useable image should be 768x432 (sq. pixels. 720x432 PAL-shaped), which leaves room of 144 pixels for the black bars. In virtualdub, I'm seeing that 69 off the top and 75 off the bottom looks right.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]