FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic AVCHD Vs Sony EX1 MPGE 2 Long GOP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Scales
Panasonic AVCHD Vs Sony EX1 MPGE 2 Long GOP
on Dec 20, 2008 at 5:55:53 pm

Real time HD Editing AVCHD vs MPEG 2 Long GOP

I am looking to buy either the Sony EX-1 XD CAM or the Panasonic AG-HMC 151e to replace my Canon XL-1s SD Mini DV camcorder.

Question

My principal question is about capture and real time editing on HD.

Background

On DV I would capture in real time (logging as I go) on to a standard PC and as soon as the tape is finished I can edit straight away in real time with no renders. Is this the same with tapeless HD???? In particular can I do this with AVCHD and MPEG 2 Long GOP

Needs

I want a codec that will allow me to transfer (I assume a simple as ‘copy’) on to the PC, import the clips and begin editing.

Research

I have heard that AVCHD must be compressed into something else on ANY computer before one can edit with it (even on FCP). Is this the same for the MPEG2 Long GOP codec?

Budget Restrictions

Whilst I would love the picture quality of the Sony EX-1, It is over 30% more expensive than the Panasonic AG-HMC 151. But at the same time, I do not want footage that I have to recompress before I can even edit it!

Edit platform

I am also planning to buy a Mac Pro or a PC with a capture card (like Canopus Storm). Again I am unclear as to which one to get until I can figure out which camcorder (ie compression) to get.

So in a nutshell I want to edit just as quickly if not faster than I did with DV but now with HD! AVCHD or MPEG 2 Long GOP?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Qui-Ton-Set
http://www.backyardproductions.co.uk

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Panasonic AVCHD Vs Sony EX1 MPGE 2 Long GOP
on Dec 22, 2008 at 3:33:32 am

It depends on the editing platform- AVCHD can be edited natively in Adobe Premiere but requires a transcode to ProRes in Final Cut Pro. This is a fast process that if you're used to capturing off tape is going to seem like lightning.

-Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Darren Scales
on Dec 22, 2008 at 8:37:54 am

Hi Noah, thanks for that!

I have downloaded the CS4 trial version but have been unable to import my AVCHD files. I have kept the file stucutre as it should be.

Wikipedia says that the AVCHD is not supported in the trial version of CS4, but then Adobe says that CS4 is a FULL working copy.

I have a Panasonic HDC-SD100. I am hoping to get the Pansonic 151 (150 to you in the US!) if my tests work out.

Any ideas?

Thanx

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 22, 2008 at 3:40:18 pm

I've used the full version of CS4.01 and I can assure you it fully supports native AVCHD editing. Personally I prefer Final Cut Pro but that's a different issue.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Dec 22, 2008 at 9:21:31 pm

Noah,

Have you tried that MXF4QT with FCP? I know that's the hot new toy for the P2 workflow, but do you know if it works with the HMC150? Their website says it works with AVC-Intra, but their ads seemed to be more geared toward the HPX3000 as opposed to the HMC.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]