FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filming under 32 Degrees F, how do I do it safely?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ammon Baker
Filming under 32 Degrees F, how do I do it safely?
on Dec 16, 2008 at 7:23:21 pm

I'll be shooting a snowboard video, but I've never filmed outside in the cold. I have a Panasonic DVX100AP, and it says the Min. operating temp is 32F. Is there a way I can safely shoot outside? What will happen if I did shoot in lets say 20 degree weather?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Filming under 32 Degrees F, how do I do it safely?
on Dec 16, 2008 at 9:01:54 pm

Really depends on how cold it is. You can try wrapping the camera in a blanket with heat pads but be careful of letting moisture in. Or have a tent you can duck into with a heater if it freezes up.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Ammon Baker
on Dec 17, 2008 at 8:18:38 pm

It's probobly going to be between 10-30 degrees F. Now if it does get too cold is there permanent malfunctions or just temporary, until it gets warmer?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 18, 2008 at 6:14:47 pm

Just use common sense. If the camera stops operating, get it warmer. And keep it insulated. If you can survive the camera can as well.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Dale West
on Dec 19, 2008 at 1:23:11 pm

A couple things to try as well.
I have used my rain cover with hand warmers between the
cover and the camera. I bought a bunch of them at REI. just rip open
the bag and when they come in contact with air they begin making heat.
Not hot but very warm. Covering the camera alone can also help as the
camera will generate its own heat and the cover will help keep it in. I've found
that in real cold that the camera will sometimes stop making color or make a very unique
color. In Alaska one winter I took the polar coat off my varicam and left the power off while I was setting up a shot. It was about -15 degrees. When I powered back up to shoot the first 2 minutes were the most vivid green. Once we got back up to temp the color returned to normal but its best to keep your camera covered and on while outside. Your battery life may also be shortened by the cold. I keep my small batteries in a parka pocked again with hand warmers. You also have to be careful about going from cold outside to warm inside and back out. Just like going from cold AC to humid outside only in reverse. Anton Bauer also makes battery covers for their pro pack style batteries and you can again put hand warmers in them.
Good shooting

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-892-1201

Return to posts index

Jerry Krantz
on Jan 3, 2009 at 4:03:41 pm

No one has mentioned this yet, and hopefully you have not gone out shooting.

Either keep the camera warm, or keep it cold. Lets say your out for the day and the camera is really cold when you get back to your room. Let it warm up for 48 hours, as it warms up water will condense inside it. The long time is to let the water evaporate from the internals of the camera. This applies to any electronic device, including your laptop etc.

Your camera's electronics function fine down to virtually any temperature. But you will have to safeguard against condensation from a warm microchip in a cold environment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]