FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC150 Post-production Workflow?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sara Hill
HMC150 Post-production Workflow?
on Nov 24, 2008 at 4:36:11 am

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing an HMC150 and I'm trying to find out a few more details about the post production workflow before I commit to the purchase. One of the things that appeals to me is the idea that digitizing would not be necessary, however if ingest times + render times are greater than real time capture, it becomes a lot less appealing to me. I would be using FCP 6 and a Macbook (2 Ghz intel core duo + 2 GB ram) for now, but am thinking about upgrading. Anyone know how I could figure the time involved?

I'm also curious about the shot mark function. Does that mark entire clips, or does it mark a specific point in the time code that can be easily referenced in FCP?

Also, is FCP the best application for handling AVCHD, or should I consider other software? I hear CS4 will be able to handle AVCHD?

Do you know if you can preview AVCHD files in Quicktime, or Real Player or anything like that? Or does it come with software that makes it easy to view your footage without ingesting to FCP?

Any tips would certainly be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HMC150 Post-production Workflow?
on Nov 27, 2008 at 7:14:49 am

FCP handles the HMC150 nicely. The primary difference between its workflow and that of CS4 is native support. In CS4 you can edit the AVCHD files directly, in FCP they are first transcoded to ProRes. That said, AVCHD is a great camera format but a pretty hard to work with editing format. And I happen to think FCP is way more stable and intuitive than CS4, but it's gaining ground fast.

Noah

Check out My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Hakki OCal
on Dec 19, 2008 at 11:14:21 pm

What are the Mac and PC configs for a meaningful AVCHD editing on FCP and CS4? Thanks

Return to posts index

Pablo Hill
on Nov 30, 2008 at 5:04:45 am

you will be transcoding you files as prores 422, you will be working faster than with HDV. It is said to be leaner on your machine than dvcpro hd.

Return to posts index

Sara Hill
on Dec 1, 2008 at 2:37:34 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. You're the best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]