FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX-100 : 16:9 "Squeeze" 24P Advanced Removal

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cody Peterson
DVX-100 : 16:9 "Squeeze" 24P Advanced Removal
on Oct 23, 2008 at 5:51:53 pm

I am about to shoot a film which I would love to be 16:9 native / ~24fps... Shooting on a DVX, if I shot 24p Advanced / 16:9 squeeze, what would my workflow be for capturing / editing in FCP?

Capture DV-NTSC Pull Down Removal (4:3) --> But how would I tell final cut that the footage is really 16:9 and not 4:3?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVX-100 : 16:9 "Squeeze" 24P Advanced Removal
on Oct 24, 2008 at 1:48:36 am

DVX100 24pA footage should always be captured at 29.97 because that's what's on the tape. When a user wants to cut at 23.98 they need to properly remove the 2:3:3:2 pulldown introduced by the DVX100 during filming. The DVX100 flags these extra frames and embeds these flags into the Firewire data stream. FCP can read these flags back during ingest and conform the 29.97 pulldown footage back to the 23.98 captured by the camera. That is what the Remove Advance Pulldown from 2:3:3:2 sources checkbox in the capture settings is for. But in order to do this properly, the FPS setting in FCP must be set at 29.97 to give FCP the full firewire data stream and allow it to properly recognize the flags and remove the Advance pulldown frames.

If you set the capture FPS at 23.98, FCP will randomly delete frames to get from 29.97 to 23.98 but they will not be the correct frames. You'll wind up with a 23.98 file that looks odd during playback from FCP because the 2:3:3:2 interlaced pulldown frames are still there along with randomly missing progressive frames. This has become the number one issue plaguing FCP users with DVX100 footage who want to cut at 23.98 and has resulted in a lot of confusion. I've hoped to lobby Apple on this issue so that they might include a warning pop-up in FCP giving notice that 23.98 FPS capture will result in improperly digitized DVX100 footage but haven't made any headway and Panasonic hasn't been able to either- maybe you can help with that.

I know it seems counterintuitive that one would use 29.97 as the capture frame rate in order to ingest 23.98 footage but that's how it must be done because of the way the format is recorded to tape.

Then for the 16:9, simply make sure the anamorphic checkbox is checked.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

andy schroeder
on Oct 27, 2008 at 10:57:33 pm

"I've hoped to lobby Apple on this issue so that they might include a warning pop-up in FCP giving notice that 23.98 FPS capture will result in improperly digitized DVX100 footage but haven't made any headway and Panasonic hasn't been able to either- maybe you can help with that."

I know these questions get asked a lot but I don't think I'm repeating anything I've seen, so I hope you don't want to kill me for asking; In FCS 2, on capture it has the option to choose "DV NTSC 48Khz Advanced (2-3-3-2) Pulldown Removal." Doesn't this automatically dump the extraneous frames on import?

When I use this setting for capture from my DVX100b and then drag said files into the timeline FCP informs me that the file (23.38) has a different frame rate than the timeline (29.97) and changes the timeline to match for me so that I can edit the captured 23.38 footage in 23.38. It looks correct to me, the link below is a recent example of using this capture setting, editing in the FCP suggested timeline of 23.38, and outputting through compressor to a 23.38 quicktime file.

http://www.atomicfury.com/movies/rocknrollos.mov

If something seems amiss with this I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Andy

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 28, 2008 at 1:00:41 am

Yes that's exactly what it does but you'd be surprised how often it doesn't work out well for folks- often because they pick 23.98 as their capture frame rate, which forces FCP to throw out the incorrect frames.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jim Bell
Correct 24pa settings for FCP 7
on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:42:07 am

Hi Noah,

I'm using FCP7 and want to be extra-sure I've got the settings right because I think the user interface may have changed slightly since most of these posts were written.

-DVX shoot pre-set: 24pa
-Capture preset: DV NTSC (2:3:2:3) pulldown removal
-Device control pre-set: DV NTSC firewire
-Sequence preset: 23.98

I can't see anywhere in FCP7 to "set" a 29.98 ingest/capture... other than assuming NTSC firewire takes care of it... Hope i'm not wrong. Can you confirm?

BTW I'm sure your eyes must roll every time you see another DVX 100 24p question... Thank you on behalf of dvx newbies everywhere for sticking with us!

JB

10.6.1 Macbook Pro 17" w/express 34, G-Tech 2 TB GRaid, TC Electronic Impact Twin FW audio interface

Hindsight is always 1080p - Thanks to Zane Barker, this made me smile...you too?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]