FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD workflow & archiving

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sharon Mullally
AVCHD workflow & archiving
on Oct 20, 2008 at 6:59:27 pm

What's the best way to archive material shot on an AVCHD camera? I'll want to edit the material in FCP, but then archive all the raw footage (?) on some medium that's not going to become obsolete in 5 or 10 years.

Does anyone have experience to share on both workflow in FCP and archiving options?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: AVCHD workflow & archiving
on Oct 20, 2008 at 9:15:37 pm

Sure- the simplest method is the same as on other solid-state cameras like the HVX200. First you backup the contents of each SDHC card to your hard drive, preferably in a working copy and another copy just socked away on a drive you don't have in constant use. Then log and transfer from that working copy into FCP. You'll technically now have three copies- two backups of the original card contents, and QuickTime .MOV ProRes transcodes created by FCP that will automatically go into your capture scratch folder. Is that what you were looking for?

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Sharon Mullally
on Oct 21, 2008 at 1:38:17 pm

Thanks, Noah. That makes sense -- keeping the second hard drive as an archive for the material.

Now, is there a way to feed the two hard drives simultaneously so that both transfers can happen at once?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 21, 2008 at 3:34:37 pm

Sure- link them as a RAID using the Disk Utility in OS X. They must be the same type and size to function properly. I use RAID 0. Here's a tutorial:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh1013.ht...

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.

Return to posts index

Francesco Biagini
on Oct 22, 2008 at 8:40:49 pm

Hi all
I wanted to understand better how the workflow works using final cut pro.
I understood that the mpeg4 need to be transcoded to apple pro res HD during the ingestion and it will take an average of 3x the real lenght of the footage.
Do the images loose quality through the ingestion? Is the process solid and painless? Would you use this camera for low budget documentaries for broadcast?
thanks for your comments
Francesco

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 22, 2008 at 9:39:31 pm

those are very subjective questions. Yes it takes time, no you don't really lose much additional quality in the transcode. Is it suitable for broadcast? I'd be on the fence about that. Going to take some time to see what broadcasters think about this.

Noah

Return to posts index

Sharon Mullally
on Oct 24, 2008 at 4:06:20 pm

OK, I'm new at this solid state stuff.

Do I need to do the initial transfer from the camera -- using the camera as the card reader -- or is it better to get a card reader for copying the files to the hard drives?

Return to posts index

Michael Fountain
on Dec 9, 2008 at 9:49:23 pm

Hi Sharon...I picked up a small USB card reader from a local drug store and popped my card into it, then plugged the card reader into a USB port on my Mac...The Mac recognized it right away and i didn't have to use up the camera battey to transfer files :) The reader was about $12...very cheap

Return to posts index

Dan Pinard
on Apr 10, 2010 at 5:23:14 pm

What would be the best way to go about backing up my project in such a way that I save the original AVCHD clips and NOT the ProRes converted material?

My goal is to back up to the smallest size. I am not worrying about the time required to re convert the AVCHD back into ProRes. Yey I want to be able to recreate the project if necessary. I don't believe I will ever re-edit...BUT....

Thanks in advance, Dan

Tucson Dan

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Apr 13, 2010 at 5:42:44 am

Dan, my original AVCHD footage is stored on an outboard 2 TB drive. I also use Blue Ray to backup to DVD and then move that DVD to a safe deposit box, so that if my house burned down, or a junkie stole all my gear (which is not unheard of around here) then I can recreate from originals. I can then not worry about RAID for the AVCHD footage, as I have it backed up, but if I was paranoid, I'd have a RAIDed set of disks. I use a RAID set internally for all my FCP project based stuff. I also have an external SATA dock coming, as I will undoubtably run out of disk space at some point sooner than later on the internal RAID.

That way my FCP stuff is separate from the original footage.

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]