FORUMS: list search recent posts

24p standard problems

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PJ Arraou
24p standard problems
on Oct 14, 2008 at 2:07:54 am

Hi there,

I've already read all the threads I found about 24p/compression issues but can't figure out where my problem comes from.

My footage is 24p standard, captured and edited as 29.97.
On the log&capture window, it all looks good (with regular interlacing every 3 frames), but when captured, the edges come out really croppy (straight wall lines and black cables on bright floor). I didn't pay attention at first, thinking it would disappear exporting it.
I usually export using Compressor, with DVD BEST QUALITY 90mn and it comes out fine. But this time it just won't, for some reason I can't explain...
What's happening when I export this finished timeline, is that the edges look good and sharp again, but my character's body is all interlaced...
So next step I converted the frame rate to 24fps in Compressor (custom settings), which fixed the interlacing but now the edges look like crap again, and also the image looks softer and kind of dull...

Anyone guess what's going on? Please?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 24p standard problems
on Oct 20, 2008 at 12:26:00 pm

Well if you shot 24p standard that's pretty much it- it's 29.97. Forcing it to 24 fps is not going to help at all. Stay 60i/29.97 on all of your capture, sequence, export, compressor and DVD SP settings. To get to straight 24p you need to shoot 24pA from the beginning otherwise you throw out the easy possibility of having a native 23.98/24p timeline edit or DVD. To get rid of interlacing from 24p standard footage entirely you'd have to run each take manually through CinemaTools to do your 3:2 pulldown removal.

I also show how all this works step by step with lots of explanations and animation on this DVD:

http://www.callboxlive.com/store/digital-post-production-with-final-dvx100-...

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]