FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro seq/capture/workflow settings shooting with DVX100B 24a

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Patterson
Final Cut Pro seq/capture/workflow settings shooting with DVX100B 24a
on Sep 3, 2008 at 8:16:56 pm

Man, so I've gone through these forums (which are incredibly helpful btw) and haven't found exactly the info for me.

So, I'm shooting with a Panasonic DVX100B at 24advanced and I'm just confused on what my "desired" settings should be in Final Cut Pro. I've read about capture settings and 3:2 pulldowns. I went to film school, but I always get a little confused with all the settings I need to have the footage look the best it can be. Basically, I just want to shoot something in 24a and output to a .mov for DVD usage (demo reels and stuff).

I'm at work and can't recall my settings offhand, but I do end up with that funky interlacing issue. So, can anyone help me with my capture settings, timeline settings and output settings (for quicktime movs)? I understand why settings need to be the way they are, just not how to line everything up well enough. I read somewhere that I should capture and edit at 29.97 anyway, but again, I'm running into problems. Halp please!

Return to posts index

Shane Patterson
Re: Final Cut Pro seq/capture/workflow settings shooting with DVX100B 24a
on Sep 3, 2008 at 9:40:46 pm

Or maybe shooting at regular 24 might help better. Sorry, there are so many forums, that I only really looked through the Final Cut Pro one, and not the DVX100 one. I'll look through some of this stuff. But if someone could help, that would be awesome.

Not trying to rock the boat, just noticed there was a bunch of overlap. Still not sure on export settings though.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 5, 2008 at 2:37:49 am

This might help:

DVX100 24pA footage should always be captured at 29.97 because that's what's on the tape. When a user wants to cut at 23.98 they need to properly remove the 2:3:3:2 pulldown introduced by the DVX100 during filming. The DVX100 flags these extra frames and embeds these flags into the Firewire data stream. FCP can read these flags back during ingest and conform the 29.97 pulldown footage back to the 23.98 captured by the camera. That is what the Remove Advance Pulldown from 2:3:3:2 sources checkbox in the capture settings is for. But in order to do this properly, the FPS setting in FCP must be set at 29.97 to give FCP the full firewire data stream and allow it to properly recognize the flags and remove the Advance pulldown frames.

If you set the capture FPS at 23.98, FCP will randomly delete frames to get from 29.97 to 23.98 but they will not be the correct frames. You'll wind up with a 23.98 file that looks odd during playback from FCP because the 2:3:3:2 interlaced pulldown frames are still there along with randomly missing progressive frames. This has become the number one issue plaguing FCP users with DVX100 footage who want to cut at 23.98 and has resulted in a lot of confusion. I've hoped to lobby Apple on this issue so that they might include a warning pop-up in FCP giving notice that 23.98 FPS capture will result in improperly digitized DVX100 footage but haven't made any headway and Panasonic hasn't been able to either- maybe you can help with that.

I know it seems counterintuitive that one would use 29.97 as the capture frame rate in order to ingest 23.98 footage but that's how it must be done because of the way the format is recorded to tape.

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Shane Patterson
on Sep 8, 2008 at 10:20:50 pm

That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for responding quickly. I have read that no matter how many frames you capture at, the tape will always take everything at 29.97. I just get confused with so many codecs and capture/timeline options.

However, I did try the Squeeze mode as someone recommended at 24pA, captured that at anamorphic with timeline settings using the pulldown removal. Exported that and holy hell, it worked like a charm. Footage looks so good and reminded me why I bought this camera (at least until the Scarlet comes out.)

I do want to get that DVD on Final Cut/DVX100B settings though. Just for a quick shoot, I needed quick answers rather than ones that cost $75. I will be plunking down for it though. Thanks everybody. These forums are a lifesaver.

What about export settings to a DVD? If I'm using just iDVD just to burn it. What would you use? I'm using the H264 codec (I believe that's it). Would you recommend anything else?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 9, 2008 at 11:01:29 am

Nope- not H.264- that's for Web. To start for DVD you want uncompressed or ProRes to keep things as pristine as possible.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Shane Patterson
on Sep 9, 2008 at 4:21:41 pm

Ha! See? Thought I'd know that, but I didn't. Well, thanks a ton. I'll do that then.

Return to posts index

Xander Fischer
on Oct 6, 2009 at 6:37:39 pm

Hey man, my name is Xander. I'm having a different kind of problem, but let's start with a question regarding the forum post that I'm responding to:

So let me understand this now; you're saying that when I shoot 24pa on my DVX, that in my capture window, I should select the "Firewire NTSC NDF" and select the "NTSC 48 Remove Advanced Pulldown 2:3:3:2"? You said the FPS should be set to 29.97, but is that in my timeline/sequence, or in like my easy set-up, or in my AV settings, or what? If I do all this correctly, should the clips show up in my FCP browser as 23.98 clips, or 29.97 clips?

Alright, here's the other problem I'm facing... Basically, not all of the FCP codecs and settings are available. Just one day, all of the sudden, the options just disappeared! Now in my Capture settings/presets, my Sequence settings/presets, and my Device control settings/presets, there are only about 12 settings to choose from, where there are usually like 60 to choose from in my Sequence Presets for example! And in my Capture Presets, the NTSC Remove Pulldown option is gone... I can manually change my sequence settings by manually going to the sequence drop-down menu and clicking "settings", but this doesn't help me capture the footage properly... What is going on??? I've trashed my preferences, I've restarted, blah, blah, blah.

Please respond to me via email: sk8orinda@gmail.com

Help???? --THANK YOU!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]