FORUMS: list search recent posts

Letterbox vs 4:3

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Bronz
Letterbox vs 4:3
on Jun 28, 2008 at 4:00:25 pm

When using the DVX100b is there a difference in image quality shooting 'Letterbox' or shooting 4:3 and then placing a matte over the image in Final Cut Pro?
Thanks!

Ryan

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Letterbox vs 4:3
on Jun 28, 2008 at 4:26:58 pm

[Ryan Bronz] "When using the DVX100b is there a difference in image quality shooting 'Letterbox' or shooting 4:3 and then placing a matte over the image in Final Cut Pro?
Thanks!

Ryan"

Not really and the added bonus is you can reposition shots within the Matte- much more useful than the hard matted shots. You'll typically have to matte a finished 4:3 letterbox sequence anyway because once you start any sort of color correction on hard matted shots it becomes obvious from cut to cut the matte is subtly changing as well. Much better to shoot squeeze mode BTW. 4:3 letterboxed looks fine on a 4:3 but horrible on a 16:9 display. Squeezed looks good on both.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Bronz
24p vs. 24p(a) advanced
on Jun 29, 2008 at 12:55:42 pm

Using the DVX100b, when creating a (primarily) 'web-based' video, is it better to shoot in 24p or 24p(a)'advanced'?
Thanks so much for the help!
Sincerely,

Ryan Bronz

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 24p vs. 24p(a) advanced
on Jun 29, 2008 at 7:40:57 pm

I'd say 24pA as they can then be encoded to 24 frames per second web video with little fuss and all in progressive. In fact in general the only reason to ever shoot standard 24p is when you want to mix with 60i footage in the same timeline or are working with an NLE with no 24pA support.

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]