FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic DVX 100B quality problems

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carla Cameron
Panasonic DVX 100B quality problems
on Apr 18, 2008 at 1:07:44 am

Hello,

I am using the Panasonic DVX 100B to shoot videos for work. I make small documentaries and will be soon shooting one hour plus docs. My trouble is that when I play the programs back on the TV ; it's a 40" plasma, the quality is bad. There is blurriness around the edges and you can see (I call them) pixels. It just isn't as clear as regular TV.

What can I be doing wrong? I render at 720 x 480 as DVD MPG2 and also window media 720 x 480. I use auto focus when shooting.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get a clearer picture?
I need to have clear images to be broadcast on TV.

Thank you,

Carla

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Panasonic DVX 100B quality problems
on Apr 18, 2008 at 2:05:40 am

Because the plasma is optimized for high definition and does a poor job upconverting standard definition. If you need to deliver HD it's time to switch to an HD camera. There are HD cameras for all budgets from Panasonic now, take a good look and make your move.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Carla Cameron
on Apr 18, 2008 at 2:19:11 am

Thank you very much for the information. I work at a school and they are looking to purchase a new camera. I believe they have about $6000 to spend. I will suggest an HD then. What are your picks on the best ones?

Cheers,

Carla

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 18, 2008 at 4:19:21 am

You can easily get an HVX200 with cards for that much- that's a very solid HD camera and if you're used to working with the DVX100 it's going to be quite familiar.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId...

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Carla Cameron
on Apr 26, 2008 at 11:18:58 am

Thanks for your help.

Carla

Return to posts index

Chris Bryan
on May 1, 2008 at 1:58:50 pm

Are you shooting in progressive or interlaced mode? Your plasma screen is probably progressive, so if you shot in interlaced mode I could see there being some degradation of quality. We shoot on a dvx100a all the time and it looks great on a plasma. I don't think it's completely necessary to drop $5000 on a new camera when you should be able to get the dvx100b to look fine on a plasma.

Return to posts index

Carla Cameron
on May 2, 2008 at 1:46:39 am

Thanks for your advice. I was looking at the camera controls last week and noticed that progressive was off. So I just switched it on. Will this mode look nice on the small screen as well? Also, I just did a test shot using a pan movement and I notice that the movement is not as smooth as when the progressive is off even in play back. Will this be different once I capture in the editing program?

Regards,

Carla

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]