FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using two mics with one camera

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carla Cameron
Using two mics with one camera
on Mar 14, 2008 at 2:01:37 am

Hello,

I tried using two mics to video a lecture today. I put one lav mic on the presenter in input one, channel one was on. I then put a condenser on a pole and had that in input two and switched channel two on. I could only hear the sound from the lav. The only time I heard a little bit of sound was when I disconnected the mic in input two and put input two on int(R).

Can someone tell me how to set up so I can use two mics on the camera at once? Also, are there any good books out there that will help me figure out how to record audio on the camera properly. I always seem to only record on one channel, the left one, even when I am using one mic. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Carla

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Using two mics with one camera
on Mar 14, 2008 at 3:07:28 pm

Are you sure you had the phantom power and line/mic settings correct for each microphone? Using two mics on the DVX is definitely possible- it's just a question of the right gear and settings. I haven't seen a good audio book or DVD specifically focused on the DVX though.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Carla Cameron
on Mar 15, 2008 at 1:35:21 am

Thank you for the response.

This is what I had: switches on mic not line.
Input one = lav and channel one.
Input two = condenser and channel two.
Phantom power on for both.

Is this correct?

Carla

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 16, 2008 at 12:58:10 am

No idea as I don't know whether your mics require phantom power. Typically lavs have their own power but both should say whether they require it or not in their manuals.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 18, 2008 at 4:03:06 am

Having the phantom power on when you don't need it may induce unwanted noise.

As for your problem, take the mic that you know works (the lav) and plug it into input one, setting the switch on the front to MIC, not line. If it has a battery, it will NOT be phantom powered. Go into the menus, under recording, and set the level to -50. Inside the LCD pocket, set Chan 1 select to Input 1.

Does that work ok?

If that does work, put the same mic into Input #2 and set everything the same except that you're now working with Input #2.

Does that work ok?

If it does, now take the condenser mic and make sure it has a fresh battery. Then, try it in Input #1 and see what happens. If it does work in 1, move it to input #2 and try that.

Let us know what happens

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Todd Roush
on Mar 29, 2008 at 7:48:43 am

One of your settings is off somewhere. Check your mic/line switches on the front of the camera.

The simple answer....use headphones and always check both mics.

Good luck.

S.

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media
Panny DVX-100's but changing so Sony or Cannon HDV soon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]