FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX 250 clips broken into 5 min clips

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
HPX 250 clips broken into 5 min clips
on Aug 30, 2015 at 4:15:17 am

Been using this camera for a long time without media issues. On this shoot, I used two cameras and two cards in each camera. Not sure if i messed up a setting when I set all the metadata to show on a broadcast monitor. There was no indication that the clips were being broken up into chunks. Most are 5 minutes long. I need to sync the two cams in post and that might prove a problem with these broken up clips.

What could have caused this and how to correct it if possible?

Here's the import:

My only other thought is I took a couple of shots on each cam and pulled out one of the media cards to play them in FC just to make sure that none of the metadata like timecode was being baked on the clips or any other problems.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
Re: HPX 250 clips broken into 5 min clips
on Aug 31, 2015 at 5:56:43 am

Were these clips possibility part of a spanned volume? The 5 min per clip looks very similar when not all of the spanned volume sets are imported. When you have all of the spanned volume, it will magically join. I shot a 3.5 hours continuous spanning clip and I had to select all 4 raw P2 folders and it combined to a single 3.5 hours vs every 5 min clip.

typically use FCP 7.0.3 Log & XFer and import all spanned clips. It does take longer but so is importing it natively into FCP 10.2.1 and the library is large.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 31, 2015 at 5:03:51 pm

This sounds promising. So if i copy each card to a folder and then import all the folders at once, FCP X will merge them? into what I see on the camera? I was wondering if I could import from the camera rather than a P@ card reader but my Mac didn't see the connected camera (mini-usb to usb). In USB mode.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Aug 31, 2015 at 9:57:19 pm
Last Edited By Sam Lee on Aug 31, 2015 at 9:59:02 pm

Yes simply import all folders and it'lll automatcially join it into a large clip. Unfortunately if you have more than 2 P2 cards spanned, you either have to copy all P2 cards to a hdd or have a 3 or 5 P2 card reader for it to see it all.

During import, you'll have to compound select all of the P2 folders (:\CONTENTS) and all spanned footage will appear. I believe recall when the clip is spanned, a "!" will appear in their free P2 CMS for Mac or Windows. The best way to determine if the clip is spanned or not is to simply use FCP 7.0.3's Log & Xfer. It'll tell you if it's partially spanned or completely spanned. The nice thing about it is that if you forget a P2 folder, you can add it and it's smart to join it automatically right before you perform the rewrapping. FCP 10.2.1 is not as acute in this. So you have to prep it ahead of time for spanning otherwise each clip is 5 min vs hours long.

I actually got a bit lazy of having to constantly open the P2 media door to insert the 2nd card and keep it spanned on all P2 originated footage shot several years ago. The P2 spanning process has been flawless for me since 2006 with the paltry 4 & 8 Gb P2 cards. Back in those days I have to really keep up with the folder naming convention. With 64 Gb, that's not a big problem anymore. Still don't know why they don't have 128 Gb P2. Sony already have it on their SxS cards.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 31, 2015 at 10:56:31 pm

It's just 2 p2 cards.
And I'm importing into FCP X not 7.

I'm pretty sure its completely spanned since it appears in the camera as one long clip.

[Sam Lee] "FCP 10.2.1 is not as acute in this. So you have to prep it ahead of time for spanning otherwise each clip is 5 min vs hours long. "

So how is this done? That is my issue.

I have not named the cards in camera. I just label the little white board and create a folder on my computer giving it metadata I make up with project scene date and A or B cam.

FCP X will include the folder name and treat it as the "camera name"

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Sep 1, 2015 at 12:43:37 am

I just tried on FCP 10.2.1 and all spanned clips worked fine. Here are my scenarios:

I have a PCD-35 which can read all 5 P2 cards. I happen to have a five 64 Gb P2 cards shoot and it imports spanned clip just fine. The catch here is that you must have all 5 cards online during the import. If there is the 6th card needed it will not span properly. Not to worry. There are shoots where I average about 30-35 cards per day for 6 cameras. This is where you must copy all native P2 to a hdd and then import all at once. Metadata here on the clip name is a must have here, especially with 6 or more cameras. I can't imagine anybody can sort through the default P2 naming convention.

The true metadata is really the clip name of the footage shot. This has to be done when you shoot on your P2 camcorder. If you don't set it to record clip name and type 2 meta data, FCP will always use the default $$$$##.MXF instead of the custom "Acam-main.MXF" that you specified in the camera. Otherwise 10.2.1 will make its own keyword based on the folder you import. It's good to name the P2 folder name as a meaningful name vs something generic.

The 2nd method that I always do is to copy all of my pristine P2 file to the hdd for archive. I'm using Shot Put Pro 5.3.3 and it has the directory as follow: "Aug 2015 Work For Hire Shoots / Aug 28 Reality A cam.. B cam, C cam, D cam. What I did was select the closest one to the P2 structure (/CONTENTS). Shift select all 5 folders and it imports in with fully spanning. The key here is that you must shift select all 5 folders and FCP 10.2.1 will auto span it if it sees it on the original P2 folder. FCP 10.2.1 import window elegantly filter out the P2 structure to just the clip name. That is you will not see other directory name in the P2 (audio, clip, icon, proxy..)There's absolutely no 5 min orphaned spanning clip. If not all 5 folders are selected it will result in missing spanned clip.

Whatever the case, spanning for FCP 10.2.1 works pretty well.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:40:14 am

Thanks Sam,

I'm getting closer but still no cigar.

I copied the four P2 cards that together made up the long clips into labeled folders in the finder.

And FCP X no longer broke the footage into 5 min clips. But it did treat the two cards for each camera as independent clips. So I ended up with four clips in FC rather than 2 (one for each camera).

Should the 2 card files from one camera not be put in separate folders in the finder?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:00:34 am

Actually the first folder in FC is actually longer than one full card would be. So FC kept the two folders by label but split the clips in these folders according to pause/record of the cameras. So I think it did marry the clip that spanned between card one and card two in each camera.

Hope that made sense.

Is there anyway to have them import as if they are one larger card

rather than the two labels 1 and 2 that I gave them?

Could you show me an example of how you organize it in the finder?

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Sep 1, 2015 at 12:54:42 pm
Last Edited By Sam Lee on Sep 1, 2015 at 1:18:36 pm

Here's a typical weekly workflow for me. I'm ingesting about 40-50 64 Gb P2 cards per day. this is for a 6-cam, unscripted reality show shot on 1/3" and 2/3" P2 cams. The key here is that the volume name has to be structured. No mistaken can be made at anytime. That is, I must be 100% certain that all P2 volumes are copied and verified (XXHash64). P2 has an annoying 11 char volume limit. So one must find a way to name it based on the workflow and situation of each prod. The 11-char P2 volume name is foundation name for all other names. It looks somewhat unorganized now, but eventually will be uniformly named.

My folder naming is actually quite generic and general. I simply don't have the extra time to custom name 40-50 folders per day. Typically it's categorized by day and camera #. Nothing else otherwise the folder gets too long.

Shot Put Pro 5.3.3 is a must have app. It will take all of the card volumes and transfer it automatically. It's impractical to manually do each one when you have about 40 P2 cards per day to deal with on a regular basis. You can also specify pre and suffixes volume name. Due to system resource limit, I can only offload about 10-15 cards at a single time. After that, continue on with the 2nd batch of 10 P2 cards. The P2 sources are from PCD-35s, PCD-30, AG-MSU10s, PCD-2. Practically every possible reader I can get my hand is utilized on the legacy Mac Pro 2010 model. I do not like Micro P2s. They are very easy to get lost in the field. Used market cost for Micro P2 and P2 is only ~$50 difference. Sadly, the PX270 and PX380 will force users to buy Micro P2s if they want spanning. Otherwise only a single slot for P2 on those cams.

True metadata of camera name, clip names, etc are done at the camera level and not in FCPX. It's too cumbersome to manually rename it FCP X, especially when there are about 6-8 cameras to deal with. Time code sync must be correctly done during the shoot via Zaxcom or Time Code buddy products. If there're drift, it's very difficult to manually offset TC with the native P2 media. Small thing such as correct date and time setting on each camera is also important as it'll affect the initial sorting. Overall every detail has to be taken into account in order to effectively manage the massive P2 media on a daily basis.

After extensive real world testings, it's not efficient to edit P2 natively in FCP X. Library size is about 8-10x larger than the rewrapped P2 files (via FCP 7.0.3 as a native AVC-I MOV). For smaller edit with only a few P2 cards, then it's OK. But large scale edit, not practical or recommended.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 1, 2015 at 7:19:21 pm

Thanks.
When your copying the P2 cards in the finder, are you dragging the contents and last clip to a folder or are you using a tool or app or some other container to copy them over?

what exactly are these two containers?

Also, although any given project is small by comparison to what you are dealing with, By the time I have a card copy then a FC media import and then a back up of all this my raids do get filled up.

I have not noticed a space saving or any difference when I check optimize in FCP X import. But maybe I'm wrong. If I'm right, how are you optimizing? or transcoding??

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Sep 1, 2015 at 7:59:42 pm

The top icon with P2 series F are from the PCD-30, PCD-35 P2 drives. It has the slot #s also. Nice little touch. The orange icons are all from the AG-MSU10 drive. Up to 23 P2 drives per AG-MSU10 can be mounted. I'll only mount to up to 55-60 P2 drives per session. Anything beyond it will crash or freeze up the system.

I'm rewrapping the P2 AVC-I 100 via FCP7. You can say it's transcoding but not exactly because it's set to the native AVC-I 100 .MOV. It'll be transcoding if I set the Log & Transfer to Pro Res 422. You'll notice a huge space saving when your project is in the Tb range. Recent internal tests clearly shown over for a typical 1 Tb of raw AVC-100 P2 footage direct FCP 10.2.1 native file import takes up about 390 Gb in the library. Optimized media selection was used. Proxy was not used. On the other hand, if I spend a bit more time rewrapping the AVC-I 100 footage via FCP 7 and import it to FCP X for editing, the library is only about 300-400 Mb (with the Leave Files in place checked). With proxy option, the rewrapped .MOV import is only about 120 Gb for the FCP X library. That's a huge saving in file size in both cases. It adds up when the edit get larger. Whey you happen to be editing large media library, keep this in mind. You do not want a big 12 Tb library. I had one that grown to 8 Tb for native P2 import. I have no idea what FCP X is doing but importing native P2 media is not at all efficient in 10.2.1.

On a side note, I prefer rewrapping to .MOV because other apps - such as After Effects can take that footage with ease. Trying to get AE to read footage from the raw P2 is too time consuming. It's also cost prohibitive having to duplicate the raw footage (one for FCP X's library) and the other for the 3rd party apps to use. FCP X's library for all media is hidden in a .fcpbundle and 3rd party app like AE can't really use it at all.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 1, 2015 at 11:34:43 pm

Thanks Sam.
My card reader is as single slot and looks like this

with this inside

FCP X see the

But I can't seem to copy/clone this to my media drive.

So instead I've been creating a finder folder, labeling it and copying the

in it.

How do you get the card itself to copy to your media raid?

I can drag it to a drive but get an alias. I can import it into FC and FC will give it the camera name you see in pic which was created in the finder by right clicking the card and renaming it.

Is there any import feature in FC X that would be a way to sorta transcode it to a codec like what you are doing in 7?

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Sep 1, 2015 at 11:57:53 pm

FCP X automates the file transcoding process internally and user can't change any setting. The three popular 1080pformats: AVCHD, AVC-I (P2), Sony IMX (SxS) will automatically recognized only clip name. It will ignore all other directory attributes that are irrelevant to most editors.

The only way to manually preserve P2's file structure is by creating a camera archive for each card. Thanks but no thanks when I have 50 cards per day to deal with. Your probably are asking why this is important. It's because if you ever need to work in PC Windows, the raw P2 media will be Mac/PC compatible otherwise you'll be stuck to Mac only once it gets rewrapped to .MOV and you delete the native P2 raw media. FCP does not perform a bit for bit data transfer to another hdd for you. That has to be done with OSX Finder or Shot Put Pro.

Manually creating a folder name in OSX Finder is one of the simplest ways to transfer the raw data from P2 and other raw cam formats. A more elegant method is by using 3rd party app called Shot Put Pro. For $100, it'll automate the process and even verify that the data is 100% error-free. Eventually if you shoot a lot of footage, you will need this util to expedite the offloading process.

At this point in time, I have not been able to find an efficient file rewrapping workflow in FCP X that will result in smaller library size. I contacted Apple and others but no luck. The only viable solution now is to rewrap in FCP 7 and import as a native AVC-I 100 .mov clips. That is the most efficient for FCP X now. Perhaps next year if enough users complain, Apple will revamp their P2 AVC-I support.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 2, 2015 at 12:17:31 am

So I guess I've been doing the best I can without going to shot put pro

is shot put how you are keeping the images of the cards i see in your pics?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 2, 2015 at 12:29:05 am

So I guess I've been doing the best I can without going the shot put pro

is shot out how you are keeping the image of the card itself?

The problem I had the last i tried this was FC kept both folders I created in the finder even though I was trying to span them. I guess it doesn't matter - it did span the clips that ran long. But it did not treat the two cards as one. I had one pause in the recording and it put the extra clip on one or the other of the two folders I created in the finder as the Camera name in the browser.
I will try it one more time creating a clean new library and see what gives. I need to get those cards back in circulation. Maybe if I put those two folders in a master folder with the master card name? And just point FC to the parent folder?

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Sep 2, 2015 at 4:15:19 am

FCP X should not break up the spanned clips unless when you import it, a folder is missing. BTW, FCP 7's Log & Transfer function is a great tool to determine if all of your P2 folders are present for uninterrupted spanning. Sadly, there is no such tool in FCP X. It's so necessary but just not present in FCP X. Perhaps you may want run it as a spanning evaluator tool but doesn't have to perform the Log & Transfer function. I actually use FCP 7 as a tool to determine if all the spanned clips from all the cams are present before reformatting all of the P2 cards. It will say immediately give you either spanning is complete or incomplete by adding or removing P2 folders. Be aware that if you have P2 cards mounted, it will go to that first. And if you know for cetain that only 2 P2 cards are shot, then you have to mount 2 of it. If not, eject the P2 drives and custom point it to the two P2 folders closest to \CONTENTS on your hdd instead.

If I'm not mistaken, FCP 7 & X prefer the one closest to the P2 folder. If you put a two folders before it, it may not see the clips. For certain, FCP 7 will give you an invalid P2 dir error right away if there are 2 folders. It only wants a single folder before the P2's \CONTENTS media). I typically will compound select all the folders right before \CONTENTS and that seems to work everytime.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 2, 2015 at 4:30:15 am

I have a copy of 7 around. Haven't used in in two years. But would love to get smaller file sizes. Hope I can remember how to use it.

Well the clips now got spanned as i shot it and the two folders for each cam is just a way to sort the clips, It has little after the span to do which card of the two in each cam it got recorded on. It just seems to span what it needs to from the other folder.

Still don't get how you get the card file icons mounted on your media raid unless its just the result of using shotput pro?

I'll look into how to start naming clips in the p2 cam.

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Sep 2, 2015 at 6:24:10 am

If you have been shooting all short clips on the first card, nothing will be spanned of course. But if you happen to be using the last 1 Gb on a 64Gb P2 card #1 and record 20 min non-stop, that last clip will get span over to 64 Gb P2 card #2. There's no logical reason for the clip to span over when the first card is not filled to the maximum capacity it can handle. For scripted type of shoot with short takes, I typically do not span the card. But unscripted docs, I will span it since it's unpredictable and don't want to be bothered with changing media during an important scene that can't be reshot or recreated.

And if course you can continuously record as much as you like. The longest that I record continuously was 4.5 hours at full AVC-I 100. Every other hour I swap card and it keeps on recording. You really have to be comfortable with the blinking green on the P2 slot to remove it. It can get a bit nervous. But the blinking green and blinking orange works for me every time. Looking back this is a pretty risky thing to do and I would pause the camera as much as I can. What if you accidentally remove the wrong slot with blinking orange (indicating that it's recording)? I haven't experience this but I think only the last 5 min will be bad and not the entire duration of the spanned clip.

Those P2 icons can only be generated from the P2 readers (PCD-35, PCD-30) and the AG-MSU10 mobile storage unit. It cannot be created from an internal or external hdd. Those icons are from Panasonic's genuine gear and they have their own custom volume P2 artwork. But you must install Panasonic's own free P2 drivers software. It helps a lot to tell where the media originated. Shot Put Pro doesn't generate icon when the folders are copied. It's just a simple media copying utility with full verification.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 2, 2015 at 1:11:34 pm

[Sam Lee] "But unscripted docs, I will span it since it's unpredictable and don't want to be bothered with changing media during an important scene that can't be reshot or recreated. "

That was exactly the case here. And I was a newbie at it. Previously I just told talent that when the media card runs out that particular scene is over. But this time I had a strong feeling it would need to run over 100 min instead of 70 and it did.

My reader is a panasonic AJ-PCD2 with one slot. Is the new thunderbolt one good and capable of maintaining the icons. It would save me time if I didn't need to create a folder for each card. But I would need to learn to name them in camera like you do.

Now that I copied both card copies to the raid and imported both at once, it broke the clips into the lengths they were shot, just like you said.

I'll try to blow the dust off an old copy of 7 cause I would really like to cut the file sizes down.

I'm a one man band on this particular on-going non-scripted project and the assistant editing job is so important to its survival.

Thanks again.

PS if I get 7 up and running, I'll be looking into how to transcode the media. Compressor can't do this?

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Sep 2, 2015 at 2:32:44 pm
Last Edited By Sam Lee on Sep 2, 2015 at 2:50:11 pm

Panasonic's P2 rich metadata gets cut out in FCP 7 & X. Only camera model, serial #, clip name, & shot marker gets imported in FCP X. With that in mind, the clip name is only useful. I do lots of unscripted docs and have been using generic names. The most useful for me is separating each camera. It's virtually impossible to sort of six cameras using P2's default clip name. You can update the metadata via the SDHC on the HPX-250 or go in and enter it manually. It's a bit cumbersome in the camera but it works just fine. I typically would increment the shoot day clip name in the camera. The only downside to this is that you have to remember to do it everyday. If you forget, that clip name metadata data will forever be stuck. To avoid mistakes, I keep it generic as much as possible these days.

https://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/professionalformatsandworkfl...

Regarding rewrapping and transcoding in FCP 7: I'd strongly recommend to rewrap the file. That's the default codec handling setting when installing FCP 7. Transcoding to Pro Res 422 from AVC-I takes a lot of CPU time and a bit more hdd space per file. When you have a large raw footage asset, the space adds up to Tb with the transcoded Pro Res 422 or HQ. There's no setting in FCP X to treat the P2 AVC-I 100 media as native or transcode to Pro Res 422 or HQ. Plus the file size for AVC-I 100 & Pro Res 422 .MOV: Pro Res 422 is a bit larger. This gets expensive when you have a big library. You cannot transcode directly from Compressor. Earlier version of Compressor only takes regular clips and not camera raw. Quality wise, I feel more comfortable working in native AVC-I 100 .MOV codec than Pro Res 422 .MOV. It will preserve all of the gamma and other parameters as closest as possible. The most important thing here is FCP 7 & X take in the rewrapped AVC-I 100 .MOV files just like Pro Res 422 .MOV. You can verify that the P2 AVC-I 100 clips are indeed a rewrapped type by simply go to Quicktime and look at its codec setting. It'll state AVC-I 100 vs Pro Res 422.

Come to think of it, I have yet to investigate whether FCP X is forcing all P2 formats like a transcoded media Pro Res 422 HQ. I always wondered why it's so much larger when I import P2 natively in FCP X than when I rewrapped in FCP 7 as a native AVC-I 100 codec. I typically save about 60% of disk space when using FCP 7 rewrapped .mov. That's a huge space saving for large projects. And quality wise, I can't tell the difference between the two: AVC-I 100 rewrapped or Pro Res 422 HQ transcoded .movs. Most of these were shot with the HPX-3100s, PX5000s, and few HPX-250s cams. With that in mind, I don't see a need for Pro Res 422 at the expense of ~60% more disk space needed.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 2, 2015 at 10:39:07 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Sep 2, 2015 at 10:39:38 pm

Thanks Sam,

That could be a huge space saver.

So how do you rewrap the media in FCP 7?
Do you ingest it and select an option in the import preferences?
Then when its done how do you export all the clips to FCP X?

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Sep 3, 2015 at 12:50:43 am

Set your FCP 7's scratch disk to the drive you want the media to be rewrapped. Go to Log &Transfer. Import all P2 folders by single or compound folder slection. Look for Complete span clip status (if P2 media are spanned). Click "Add Selection to Queue" to begin the rewrapping. When all done rename the re-wrapped .MOV. Move & rename to correct folder for FCP X. In FCP X, simply import all of it. It's quite straightforward.

This intermediate step will save gigs to tbs of space when the project grows. FCP X is just not efficient when it comes to handling native P2 codecs in general.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 3, 2015 at 4:36:36 am

Thanks you so much!

1) Do you not save a copy of the original media card? Just the rewrapped version?

2) Can this be done retroactively? Can I go through this process with all my saved P2 footage with projects with editing and replace it with the rewrapped versions?

If I get the missing media warning I'll just direct FCP x to the new files, or will this not work? Weird that legacy can handle this footage better than X.

3) When you rewrap compound folder selection how can you tell what each card was called?

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Sep 3, 2015 at 5:08:05 am
Last Edited By Sam Lee on Sep 3, 2015 at 1:41:26 pm

The pristine P2 media is always archived. I never delete them since 2006. It's filled with full P2 metadata and even GPS coordinates from the 2/3" cams. Far too valuable to be deleted. FCP X only takes 4 fields out of 50 possible metadata fields. If there is ever a need for P2 to be on PC, your best shot is to give them the raw P2 media vs the rewrapped .MOV. I can always use Panasonic P2 CMS to fully search the raw asset. That can only be when the pristine P2 media is online and not the rewrapped.

Replacing native P2 with new clip is a challenge. This is another limitation with FCP X. I also work on consumer AVCHD cams once a while and the biggest problem with FCP X is that if you don't copy the AVCHD media to FCPX's library (checking the Leave files in place during import), relinking it is virtually impossible when you migrate the media to another hdd or retrieve the media (from LTO-6 archive) at a later date for revision. It's so hard to do that what I did was to transcode the AVCHD in FCP 7 and it worked! Luckily FCP 7 also supports AVCHD and the exact clip name. I don't think is in native format but a transcoded Pro Res 422. AVCHD has an annoying generic Clip #01, Clip #02.... I don't know if you can change it in the camera to something more unique. This is a huge problem when you have dozen of similar media and you may get confused with Clip #01 on Day 2 for Clip #01 on Day 5.

I don't recall exactly what I did in the past in regard to replacing FCP X's native P2 import to FCP 7 rewrapped AVC-I 100 .mov. It was something like taking the auto backup of the current library. I had to completely remove all raw P2 assets by disconnecting the drive or shutting it off. Then when that auto backup library is opened, it then asked for relink. This is where FCP X will not relink your original P2 media (unless when if you check "Copy to Library" during import)! I was livid. You should try this at your leisure. What I had to do was go to FCP 7 and rewrap all P2 media. Then I'm able to relink to the newly created rewrapped .mov. At this point, the library is new and it's much smaller.

At this point, it seems like you have to consolidate into FCP X's library for a self-contained final archive. This gets expensive fast (storage wise) when there are about 15 Tb of raw P2 data. By rewrapping P2 media in FCP 7, I can get the best of both worlds. This of course will not be applicable to every scenario. Nevertheless, for large project, the rewrapping method offers much more flexibility for relinking and media sharing with After Effects.

In FCP 7's Log & Transfer, the P2 folder name will be clearly indicated on the top. If you have a long folder, simply drag the window a bit more to see the full names vs being truncated by other fields. It will tell you if you spanning is complete or incomplete. Very nice but unfortunately none of these features get ported to FCP X.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 3, 2015 at 4:45:37 pm

Not sure it exactly relates to what your past frustration, but I have on occasion reorganized my finder folder structure and moved P2 footage around. I have been able to relink those files so the exclamation points go away in the project and browser. However, saving space is an on-going need. I have media from short form projects of on average <200gigs each of original P2 card copies.

I now have 12TB of data on two pegasus raids each of which is also backed up to two others.

I think long term I should put the black ups on something cheaper like a hard drive dock and store the labeled drives in cases. But its much faster for me now to just use CCC to clone to the back up as I update and ingest new media.

Very boring tedious work compared to production.

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Sep 3, 2015 at 9:41:09 pm

For data management, the good old 2010-2012 tower Mac Pros served me quite well.

Long-term offline archival, I use LTO-6. Probably will skip LTO-7 and upgrade to LTO-6 several years later. In the long run, LTO-6s are much cheaper than hdds ( high initial tape drive cost but very low tape media costs, power consumption, maintenence-free,..). The problem with hdds is that it will not spin after ## years. HDDs are more for short-term, near and online use. I still have footage back in 1997. All recently archived to LTO-6. Hopefully it can last another 20-30 years.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]