FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Footage Playback, On Camera vs. Computer

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Prairie
P2 Footage Playback, On Camera vs. Computer
on Jun 12, 2015 at 4:09:54 pm

I have a HPX250 with mini P2 cards. I'm running OS X Yosemite. I have a video clip that plays fine on the camera but once I try to import it on to the computer the conversion fails. In an attempt to problem solve and troubleshoot I imported the P2 file folder onto my machine. I use Premiere Pro CC and imported the footage into there. The first 5 minutes and 10 frames of the video are corrupt, missing, I don't know. A still frame is held until it gets to playable video. The audio is perfectly fine through out the whole clip. The full clip is 12 minutes, so most of this clip is unusable. I've tried repairing the clip through the camera with no luck.

Is there something I can do to repair the clip?

If not, can I playback the clip from the camera and do a device capture through Premiere?

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
Re: P2 Footage Playback, On Camera vs. Computer
on Jun 15, 2015 at 3:35:50 pm

When you said you import, is it directly from the Micro P2 or already copied into the local hdd? The corruption appears to be not being able to sustain the data during import. Premiere CC may write it down file to the Micro P2 card.

I also have the HPX-250 as well as the higher 2/3" P2 cams and there is zero issue with P2 as long as you don't import it directly from the camera in USB mode and import it late to FCP X or Prem CC.

Return to posts index

Brian Prairie
on Jun 15, 2015 at 3:48:01 pm
Last Edited By Brian Prairie on Jun 15, 2015 at 3:51:12 pm

I've actually tried both. I first tried placing the micro P2 card in my sd slot on the laptop. Then convert the footage using Prelude and Media Encoder. That failed.
Then I copied the contents of the micro P2 card to the hdd and tried a conversion the same way as stated above. Fail.
I've never imported data via the usb connected to the camera.
When I imported the .MXF file into Premiere Pro CC, the clip did import but the first 5 minutes of the video are unusable.

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Jun 15, 2015 at 6:43:43 pm

This is a rarity that you're experiencing import error with P2.

The only time I encountered failed import is when I accidentally remove the media during the field recording, the cam actually froze up by beeping like crazy due to media malfunction. It won't let me continue and had to cold shutdown the camera. Later that clip only is forever damaged and corrupted. The typical low battery and dead battery should not corrupt the P2 media. It somehow has a mechanism in which the last second of the battery shutdown it'll write the close gap mark to the P2 media. I have yet to try abrupt shutdown during recording by removing the battery while the cam is recording. Another possibility that it was reformatted by a 3rd party software (Shot Put Pro ver 2 to 5 (present) instead of Panasonic's own formatter. 3rd party formatters are never 100% compatible. I always get a DIR NG whenever I use 3rd party formatters. But overall it's a puzzling thing to experience failed import unless that media has a bad sector.

Return to posts index

Brian Prairie
on Jun 15, 2015 at 7:21:20 pm
Last Edited By Brian Prairie on Jun 15, 2015 at 7:37:03 pm

Sam thanks for working through this with me.
That's what I thought too. P2 media has been nothing but dependable until this instance. I'm wondering if it is a bad card. I've never formatted it externally. I always done so in camera. I've never taken a card out while recording. I've never taken a battery out while recording. I'm frustrated and stumped.

The other problem I've been having is that all of Panasonic's card check software is PC based and I have Apple machines. I think the formatter has a Mac version but I figured it was just a formatter. Will Panasonic's software work with the sd card reader in the MacBook?

Return to posts index

Brian Prairie
on Jun 23, 2015 at 9:04:31 pm

So I'm somewhat of a dope. I just realized that I can use the camera as a P2 device. The Panasonic software sees the card now. That was the one problem I was having using the card reading/formating software from Panasonic. Just using the SD slot on my laptop saw the disk but it didn't attach to the computer as a P2 device. I still didn't get the footage to transfer properly but I was able to properly format the cards via the computer. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]