AJ-PX270 and LongG PN = interlace problems in FCPX

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Abourezk
AJ-PX270 and LongG PN = interlace problems in FCPX
on Mar 4, 2015 at 4:54:04 pm
Last Edited By Matthew Abourezk on Mar 8, 2015 at 1:35:39 pm

Hi all,

I am researching what I believe to be a bug in the recently released Panasonic software enablers/drivers for FCPX. I don't believe this is an FCPX issue, but I don't know for sure.

The problem is, any LongG 1080PN footage shot with the 270 (and possibly other new Panasonic cameras) import ONLY as Interlaced footage into FCPX. This is 100% repeatable.

This is a problem since the resulting footage is reduced quality with excessive stair-stepping and moire..
In FCPX, if you shot a LongG PN format (which most of the LongG formats now are as of the 270's mid-Jan firmware update), the footage shows up as interlaced in FCPX.

This problem does not appear in Premier or in Panasonics P2ViewerPlus.

I would LOVE for you to verify this issue. I have been able to repeat this problem on both of my edit computers and have had another 270 + FCPX user verify the issue. I am escalating this to Panasonic support.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
Just shoot a few seconds of LongG 1080 PN at any frame rate, import the clip into FCPX, select the newly imported clip, and check the top of the info panel. It will probably indicate 1080i.

I recently ran a series of tests by shooting with different formats. Here are my results....

1) ALL LongG footage shot with PN show up as interlaced in FCPX.

2) All INTRA footage shot at PN shows correctly as Progressive in FCPX.

3) LongG footage shot strictly as progressive (for example, LongG25 @ 60P) show up correctly as progressive.

4) All of the same footage, imported into P2ViewerPlus and Adobe Premier show up properly as Progressive.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe this is a problem with the new drivers that Panasonic released for FCPX.
Please give it a try with your 270 (or any other new camera that had a firmware update in 2015) and post your results.

Return to posts index

Matthew Abourezk
Re: AJ-PX270 and LongG PN = interlace problems in FCPX
on Mar 16, 2015 at 8:04:08 pm

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Chirp... Chirp....

Talkingbox Digital Media Group, Inc.
http://www.talkingboxdmg.com
(203) 249-7718

Return to posts index

Yann Monbaron
Re: AJ-PX270 and LongG PN = interlace problems in FCPX
on Jul 9, 2015 at 10:49:44 pm

Hello Matthew,

Yes, I have the same kind of problem with the setup AVC-G25/25PN in 1920x1080. When I import the footage from my camera to FCP X the metadata says that it's interlaced but is in fact progressive. Have not this problem with Intra codec.
I will contact Panasonic about that.

Best regards
Yann

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]