FORUMS: list search recent posts

panasonic dvx 100 or canon 7d?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thomas carlari
panasonic dvx 100 or canon 7d?
on Dec 23, 2014 at 2:12:05 pm

Hi everybody, I'm Thomas, from Italy. I'm new here so I'm not sure whether this is the right place for my question.

I want to start working with video. I will mainly make short movies for myself. Since my budget is not that big ( i don't want to spend for something that I don't know if it's 'right' for my style) i have narrowed down my choices to two cameras: the dvx 100b and the canon 7d. I know that one is a dslr and I will need some other stuff in order to shoot a good clip and I now that the dvx100 is old and it doesn't shoot in hd.

Now, I would like to buy a dvx, it's cheap and it was born to shoot videos, but many people told me that its products are going to be seen as 'old and out of fashion' in any video contest.

I don't know what to think. The dvx has been used for a lot of art-house movies that I love. Such as, Pedro Costa's el cuarto de vanda.

As far as I am concerned, it feels pretty cinematic, doesn'it? Perhaps even more that a full hd. Even if I undestand that our way to see something as 'cinematic' is changing due to all the movies that are being shot with RED cameras and so on...

What do you think? Should I buy a HD Dslr, or should I consider the Dvx100? (and maybe upgrade the video to hd with adobe)

Thank you,

Thomas

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: panasonic dvx 100 or canon 7d?
on Dec 23, 2014 at 10:41:14 pm

The DVX-100 is a 10 year old camera. DV...the lowest quality format of standard definition. NO ONE is dealing with SD now. HD is even on the lower end of the spectrum as the industry is pushing 4K and ultra HD. Even with "adobe" there's no way you are making the DV into HD.

Don't waste your time with that old old OLD camera. Go with the DSLR.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

thomas carlari
on Dec 23, 2014 at 11:15:47 pm

Thank you, Shane. Probably you are right.

The thing is that I'm not in the industry, you know. I want to start doing my projects, the only thing I ask from my camera is to give me something that can look cinematic and doesn't feel old. I don't want the cream of the crop, since I wouldn't know how to use it.

Could you suggest me a specific dslr/camera? Which are the entry-level cameras that are considered good enough to shoot a short nowadays? Should I stick with canon?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 3, 2015 at 10:19:57 pm

Well, for home use I have a Canon T2i. I think the latest one is a T5i. But then you need a decent lens. And the Mic is OK...not the best. Not as good as a camcorder. If you are just a hobbyist, I wouldn't mess with a DSLR, or a really old SD camera. Plenty of HD camcorders out there.

BUT...finding one that works with software discontinued nearly 4 years ago...that'll be tricky.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]