FORUMS: list search recent posts

Are these P2 Adapters trustworthy?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Thomas
Are these P2 Adapters trustworthy?
on Nov 6, 2014 at 10:31:52 pm

Hi all,

I keep hearing about these P2 adapters: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=964015&gclid=CPHdxOT...

And it seems like a great idea to use larger GB, inexpensive SDXC cards to record on. But just curious how dependable they are.

I wouldn't want to record many hours of material on a 64GB or 128GB card, just to have it get corrupted!!

I'm guessing that actual P2 cards are still comparatively expensive since they are very dependable. (In fact, I've had ZERO issues with my 5 cards the last 5 years or so).

If anyone has used this combination, please let me know the pros and cons. I appreciate it!

Bill

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: Are these P2 Adapters trustworthy?
on Nov 12, 2014 at 2:50:54 pm

The cards used normally with this adapter are not regular SD-type cards. It works with MicroP2 cards. These look like SD cards but are very different with another row of contacts. With SD cards you are limited in what formats you can record. Double check the specs. It all depends on what format you are planning to record.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Nov 14, 2014 at 1:49:26 am
Last Edited By Sam Lee on Nov 14, 2014 at 1:51:52 am

Well, the nice thing about P2 architecture is that it's still 1980 DOS legacy format. Each MXF file is 4 Gb max. It splits out to seamlessly. So if one part gets corrupted, it should be able to recover the later. I made huge mistake of removing the P2 card before the amber led shut off. Only the last clip was affected and not the entire P2. So overall it's a pretty robust design since 2007.

If you don't use the AG-MSU10, then these adaptors will be a bargain w/ Micro P2. MSU-10 will not be able to read Micro P2 cards adaptors. I haven't test them out w/ the PCD-30 3-slot USB reader yet. I personally prefer the larger form factor of P2 cards because they don't get lost easily in the field. Other than that, there are max bit rate limitations if you use regular SDHC vs genuine Micro P2.

Return to posts index

Bill Thomas
on Nov 15, 2014 at 5:25:06 pm

Micro P2 cards huh? That's good to know! I missed that fine print!

Seems like regular P2 cards would then be pretty close to the same price.

Thanks for the info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]