FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mystery green "bubble" dot in viewfinder (which is also recorded)- how to turn off please?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bronwen Mackay
Mystery green "bubble" dot in viewfinder (which is also recorded)- how to turn off please?
on Oct 27, 2014 at 1:14:13 am

Hey folks, I have a Panasonic HVX200 and I must have pressed something externally because all of a sudden I have a small green "bubble" dot at the bottom of the screen left of centre in the viewfinder and I cannot turn it off.

I believe that it is something around the area of inside the viewfinder covered area as didn't change any menu settings but do remember holding it cradled while the viewfinder was open and thinking that I hoped I hadn't set something.

This "bubble" dot could also be a very tiny "1" and looks like the 3D dots which were so popular with the first OSXs. It appears ON the recorded clips too. :(

Can someone help me work out how to get rid of this before I go completely mad please? Thank you!

"may you always do for others and let others do for you" ~Bob Dylan

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
Re: Mystery green "bubble" dot in viewfinder (which is also recorded)- how to turn off please?
on Oct 27, 2014 at 5:21:26 pm

can you post a frame grab of the problem?

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Bronwen Mackay
Re: Mystery green "bubble" dot in viewfinder (which is also recorded)- how to turn off please?
on Oct 27, 2014 at 5:31:58 pm

Hi, thank you for your response. I couldn't see how to do that before. :O

Yes, I can post a screen-grab from where it first became apparent (note- I now see a faint grey vertical line running up and down through the green "bubble" dot which is not shown here):

It is in Brigid's hair, her right hand-side and bottom left of centre of the screen..

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Oct 28, 2014 at 3:41:30 pm

Looks like it might be a faulty pixel on the imaging chip(s). Check with support for your camera and see if there is a procedure for masking bad pixels.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

Bronwen Mackay
on Oct 28, 2014 at 4:15:50 pm

Thanks Tom, I sort of realised that when I saw the grey line (which only appears in certain light conditions and on low movement- almost like a "shadow"). Unfortunate as I will need to get it repaired now. Drat, drat, drat!

I know how to deal with it on existing footage, thanks (duplicate clip, clip to equal numbers of pixels immediately adjacent and off set to cover) but really hoped that it was just a digital "light" of some sort. It just looks so weirdly 3D. :(

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Oct 29, 2014 at 9:11:20 pm

Again, check with Panasonic support. With many cameras there is an engineering/setup routine that may be able to mask or restore the bad pixel. It's a software/firmware fix and shouldn't cost anything (or very little). I just don't know whether its available on the HVX200, but a phone call should answer the question.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

Bronwen Mackay
on Nov 1, 2014 at 1:32:49 pm

I actually did go to Panasonic support directly and have yet to hear back. In my experience users are generally better sources of information that "support" anyway as they actually have the best test experiences ever. But I solved its riddle for myself and will, as stated, need to get it repaired one day.

Return to posts index

Bronwen Mackay
on Nov 1, 2014 at 1:38:52 pm

I have solved this- it is not a dead pixel (didn't think it was- it is lurid green and has a dark halo which makes it appear 3D).

It is the result of a £60,000 laser scanner's light hitting the CCD for the duration of one frame. :'( I even have the footage of it happening still and was reviewing the clip as it is in the video I am editing and thought to myself "hmm... Same colour... What if-" and WHAM there it was.

So that is why the 3D effect- it literally burnt and left the blackened edges.

Question is now- who in the UK still sells parts for the camera and/or is the CCD on the NTSC model the same as my PAL model... Oh boy- research time!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]