FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Card File Recovery

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Tennant
P2 Card File Recovery
on May 30, 2014 at 4:11:36 am

I accidentally formatted my P2 card in-camera while on set. We turned the camera off and haven't written any more data to it. I bought the jihosoft file recovery tool (not the photo recovery - not sure if it makes a difference in this case) and it found 213 MXF files, which are now in one big folder on my computer. There are also 20 bitmap files, which are the thumbnails of our 20 different shots. It completely lost the audio/icon/proxy/clip/video/voice organization of other footage. Also, the file names are just numbers whereas before they were a combination of numbers and letters. Is there any way to sort these files back to a readable format? I still haven't written anything to the card.

Return to posts index

David Watson
Re: P2 Card File Recovery
on Dec 27, 2014 at 8:56:30 am

I bought the same software, had the same problem with it. This software does not create a file structure. It only recovers files. (This is expectable of file recovery software. It does not create a disk image.) I have not been able to get FCP 7 to recognize the data yet, but did get insight to how it might be done. Maybe someone can add to this and make this software actually useful. I spent 125 on it and no dice yet.

First I checked a folder containing a download from a known good P2 card, and noted the file structure.
I recreated the "Contents" folder and all of the folders within it.
Next I sorted the MFX files by size and moved all of the ones measured in "k" to the AUDIO file, and put all the ones measured in megabytes in the VIDEO folder. (I had discovered that the beginning of the MFX file names repeated several times, and guessed that the smaller files in each set were audio tracks.)
Using the known good folder as a template, I put the XML files in the CLIP folder, and the bmp files in the ICON folder.
Next I looked for a txt file. There was only one, with a long alphanumeric name. Assuming it to be the "LASTCLIP.TXT" file, I tried first moving it into the new main folder, at the same level as the CONTENTS folder. When FCP did not recognize all of this, I changed the txt file to read LASTCLIP.TEXT. FCP still did not recognize the folder.

Maybe someone has information that will complete this picture. If not, an expensive reshoot.

Return to posts index

Glinca Vitalii
Re: P2 Card File Recovery
on Dec 3, 2015 at 4:31:27 pm

Can you play restored video files with any player which usually play your mxf video (VLC, mediaplayer, ...) ? If not, the restored data will be good for nothing. I developed mine utility for restoring P2 card but it not ready to be used without me. If you can create an image of the P2 card (some utilities like Active Undelete can do this) and send me it may be I will help you. Important! When creating image file to using any compressing at all just row exact binary image of P2 content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]