FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thinking of upgrading from HVX200 - any suggestions?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Hawley
Thinking of upgrading from HVX200 - any suggestions?
on May 12, 2014 at 1:24:03 pm
Last Edited By Justin Hawley on May 12, 2014 at 1:27:38 pm

I have had the HVX200 for many years now.

Recently, the battery holder busted. So I'm in the market for a new camera. I do a lot of corporate work, so my shooting is often quite run-n-gun. I also do a lot of green screen.

Let me be clear. I HAVE LOVED this camera. In particular I love:

1. The overcranking. I have made my money back many, many times over on this feature alone.

2. It's ease of use. It's lens was acceptable in nearly every situation, although I am definitely open to interchangeable lenses. I do have a t2i with fairly good video for specialty shots, however.

3. The 4:2:2 color sampling. This is a MINIMUM standard for me, as I do a lot of green screen studio work.

4. I'm not sold on 3MOS. Perhaps I'm just scared after the first (old) batch of reviews, but I'm open to being talked some sense into here. Call me old fashioned, but I do love the sized 3-CCD chips.

5. The slow, smooth zoom servo control. Something that is also a necessity for me, as I creep into a lot of zooms. I know for a fact that some Canon zoom rockers (at least years ago), for example, jolt between one zoom speed and another.

I'm looking for input, guys. What other cameras out there, let's say under $5k, are available that would meet my needs above?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Thinking of upgrading from HVX200 - any suggestions?
on May 13, 2014 at 4:19:00 am

You're gonna have to get over the 3 CCD vs CMOS/3MOS. Trust my opinion. I've shooting for well over 25 yrs. If you look at the investment you made for your 200, get the New PX-270. You will get more years out of it than your 200.

Other options would be the HPX-250 or a used HPX-370.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Justin Hawley
on May 14, 2014 at 2:17:44 pm

I have been researching the px270 thoroughly since you posted this. It seems, without a doubt, to be the front-runner for me right now. Thanks for that. I was literally built to be extremely flexible for one-man operations like mine.

Am I correct in saying that this camera can only overcrank in 720p, not 1080? Any other downsides anyone can see?

Steve, do you have any hands on experience with the hvx200? How does this camera compare?

Justin.

Return to posts index

Matthew Abourezk
on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:42:30 pm

Hi Justin, did you end up getting the 270?

Talkingbox Digital Media Group, Inc.
http://www.talkingboxdmg.com
(203) 249-7718

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]