FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for Using PX270 AVC-LongG Footage IN FCPX?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Schumacher
Workflow for Using PX270 AVC-LongG Footage IN FCPX?
on Apr 13, 2014 at 4:10:37 pm

I recently got an AJ-PX270 and am loving so many features of this camera.

One of the big selling points for me was that it could shoot footage in the new-ish AVC-LongG codec (Which I understand was first introduced with the AJ-PX5000 late last year).

The good news is that, in addition to a multitude of other AVC and DVC formats, it can record in both AVC-LongG 25 and 50.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to use my AVC-LongG footage in FCPX (10.1.1). When I try to import it, the clips show up in the Media Import Window as Unix Executable Files which won't play or show thumbnails (they do show begin&end tc) and corresponding separate Windows Bitmap Image thumbnail files (which are viewable). When I select one of the clips and click Import, I get an alert saying "No Importable Files, None of the selected files or folders can be imported. Change the selection and try again." And that's as far as I've been able to get with AVC-LongG on FCPX.

I've verified the clips with P2Viewer where I can view them but unfortunately that's about it.

I've also tried to convert the files using Davinci Resolve, and a couple of other format converters/re-wrappers. In each case, the moment I select the AVC-LongG files I'd like to to convert, the application crashes.

Have I missed something or is there no way possible to use (or make usable) AVC-LongG footage in FCPX?

I've searched online but seen no mention of this issue. All I've seen related to AVC-LongG is that the AJ-PX5000 and PX270 can shoot using the format. I've seen no mention anywhere of anyone having worked with the codec in post. This is surprising to me since the ability to shoot with AVC-LongG has existed since the PX5000 came out several months ago.

I've spoken with a tech support rep at Panasonic USA and he had no information about this and said he'd ask the engineering dept and get back to me.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has tried using this codec and if there's a workflow to enable the footage to be used in FCPX.

Thanks!

Dave

Return to posts index

Tony Peck
Re: Workflow for Using PX270 AVC-LongG Footage IN FCPX?
on May 4, 2014 at 6:06:44 pm

I just bought a AJ-PX270. Were you ever able to figure out AVC-LongG footage in FCPX? I was hoping to use AVC-LongG for a upcoming shoot.

Best,
Tony

Return to posts index

David Schumacher
on May 7, 2014 at 2:18:31 pm

First, to answer your question, no, I've not been able to bring any Long G footage into post with FCPX, Premiere or any conversion/re-wrapping app.

Your question triggered the following rant -- please forgive my indulgence...

Someone said in one of these online forums that he was able to use LongG in Premiere, so I downloaded a demo but alas, it wasn't compatible.

Someone else said Edius could handle the format, but that's a Windows-only format and seems like an extreme solution to this problem that will sureley be resolved in future updates from FCP and the other NLEs.

I bought the px270 with the intention to use it as a replacement for my old hpx170 for shooting events of 1-2hrs in duration. So I've been shooting them using avci50 720p50 or 59.94 instead of LongG25 as I had intended to when I bought it. What a shame! Not only am I forced to use 50Mbps as opposed to 25Mbps, but the default frame rates are overcranks (ie: >= 50fps). I don't know of anyone who uses 50 or 60fps except for slo-mo effects. That's why it's called overcranking! Yet Panasonic decided to make these the default frame rates for this camera.

So I end up shooting and editing with this footage then output edited files for streaming at 1/2 the shooting frame rate (ie shoot 50fps, output video @ 25fps). The resulting transcoded files look fine and could pass for native 25p, but what a rigamarole just to get an event video on the web with a manageable file size.

What's really frustrating is that with an old HPX170, you could get 85min of 720p24pn DVCProHD footage onto a single 32MB sd card, but this is simply impossible using this new cam without any support from the prevailing NLE programs. The closest thing to that data rate would be 720p50P in AVCI50 which would record only around 70min of footage onto a 32GB card.

It really makes me wonder why in the world Panasonic would release a camera that only shoots 720p24 at 100Mbps (AVCI-100) after the huge popularity of the HPX170's 720p24PN DVCProHD codec which offered the same 422 quality but at only 40Mbps. They've completely abandoned the idea of data-efficient 720p24 and 720p30 recording formats which are still the ideal ones to use for event videos.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts. Would love to hear your impression of the px270 so far.

Return to posts index

Tony Peck
on May 7, 2014 at 5:11:25 pm

So far I'm very happy with the image quality.

I'm disappointed Long G is not supported yet. I called Panasonic and thy said that FCP will support it in the future. When I bought the camera I thought it supported a lot of frame rates but I'm not seeing them. I wonder if it needs a firmware update.

Best,
Tony

Return to posts index

David Schumacher
on May 7, 2014 at 7:38:04 pm

According to its brochure, the camera will be able to record 1080-24pn, -25pn and -30pn in avcg25 and will also do 720p -24pn, 25pn and 30pn in DvcPro and these formats/codecs will be "available in the near future." From their lips to God's ears! I'd assume that would be facilitated by a firmware update, but I'm not available of any such thing being available as yet.

Yes, hopefully fcpx has an update to acommodate long g soon!

best,
Dave

Return to posts index

Tony Peck
on Jun 6, 2014 at 4:53:53 pm

I have not tried it yet but Panasonic just updated the firmware for the camera.

Return to posts index

David Schumacher
on Jun 6, 2014 at 6:29:19 pm

Thanks for the heads up. After searching around for longer than something like this should take, I finally found the firmware update download link:

http://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/content/download/EN/ep2main/...

Although I couldn't find any release notes on this update, I'm hopeful it will add some more line & frequency options to the AVC I 50 codec.

The main reason I bought this camera was to shoot 720p24 in AVC G 25 which I'm not sure is even possible yet with the existing firmware. It's still a moot point though as far as I know since there's still no NLE that can read AVC G nor conversion software that can convert it to something usable in an NLE.

Anyway, fingers crossed for a breakthrough with firmware v10.00...

Return to posts index

Tony Peck
on Jun 7, 2014 at 3:21:17 am

I was told by someone at Panasonic that FCP X AVC-LongG support is coming around the 4th quarter. I don't know I my source is reliable. I'm hoping that means we will have support by the end of Summer or at least in the Fall.

Return to posts index

Ruud van den Einden
on Jul 18, 2014 at 4:59:14 pm

Hello,

I also have used the AVC-G25/50 and have the same problem as you guys. In the P2 viewer everything is ok and i can play the files. But i can't import the files into Adobe premiere CS6. Also like you in FCP. Also tried FCP (both legal versions) And they both don't accept the file format. In my opinion this is a codec problem that Panasonic has to resolve (and quicker than Q4!!!)

DON'T LET PEOPLE USE A FORMAT THEY CAN'T USE IN EDITING SOFTWARE!!! (And yes i am pissed!)
So i called Panasonic, and told them not to send me to the hardware department, but that software has to solve this problem!

I will also keep you posted!

Return to posts index

John Petrula
on Oct 13, 2014 at 10:24:45 pm

Panasonic AJ-PX270 (Firmware: 11.31)
Premiere Pro CC2014 (v8.1)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1

Adobe confirmed that Panasonic AJ-PX270 LongG does not work in Premiere Pro CC2014 (v8.1).
"AVC-LongG Fails in Premiere Pro CC2014"
https://forums.adobe.com/message/6800629

Currently, does Sony PXW-X180 LongG or Panasonic AJ-PX270 LongG work in Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro CC2014 (v8.1)?

It needs to work with continuous shots which go over the 4 GB boundary.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Tony Peck
on Oct 13, 2014 at 10:45:06 pm

Panasonic Long-Gop does not currently work in Final Cut. I don't believe it works in Premiere yet either. I was told by Panasonic that support is coming in the 4th quarter. We are in the 4th quarter so hopefully we will have support soon.

Sony XDCAM works well in FCP.

Tony

Return to posts index

Jorgen Gustafson
on Nov 24, 2014 at 12:49:35 pm
Last Edited By Jorgen Gustafson on Nov 24, 2014 at 12:57:33 pm

I'm using Intra100 for post, but sometimes I'm just shoting a long show and it's going right to archive without any post...and the I use Long-G. Not even apps like MXF Converter or MXF Wrapper Pro can read the Panasonic Long-G. The strange thing is that Compressor swallow this codec and I can re-pack it to "ordinary" H.264/.mov for archiving :-D. That's strange...Compressor takes it, but no other app!
I really hope that they fix this - a Panasonic AJ-PX270 gets much more useful if you can use all codecs/settings - it gets more versatile.

(I just notised that QT7pro can play this MXF files with Long-G - maybe that's why also Compressor can take them)

Return to posts index

David Schumacher
on Nov 24, 2014 at 1:17:40 pm

This is amazing to learn! Which version of Compressor are you using? How do you bring the footage into compressor (ie all the different folders, etc)?

Return to posts index

Jorgen Gustafson
on Nov 24, 2014 at 5:55:15 pm
Last Edited By Jorgen Gustafson on Nov 24, 2014 at 5:59:09 pm

I just drop the MXF file into Compressor.

(I have a plug named "MXFImporter.component" in the QuickTime plugin folder. If this plug is Apple standard - or if I have installed it when installing all those apps I've tried past years - I don't know)

Return to posts index

David Schumacher
on Nov 25, 2014 at 5:02:37 am

Unfortunately I tried dropping a couple of AVC-G files into Compressor but as soon as I try dropping the output setting on them Compressor crashes. I have MXFImporter.component installed too.

Which version of Compressor are you running and which OS?

Return to posts index

Jorgen Gustafson
on Nov 25, 2014 at 5:23:27 pm

I have the latest of everything...always :-).
My succes must be 'cause of the MXFImporter.component and I now know where I got it from - it's from Hamburg Pro Media. I have MXF4mac installed and the QT plug makes my Compressor also like MXF - even if it's Panasonic Long-G codec inside :-)

http://hamburgpromedia.com

Return to posts index

Tony Peck
on Dec 3, 2014 at 1:21:46 am

It looks like apple just added AVC-Long Gop support. I have not tried it yet. Hopefully it works well.

Return to posts index

Jorgen Gustafson
on Dec 3, 2014 at 6:19:08 pm

Nope. Doesn't work. Updated to FCPX 10.1.4 and Pro Video Formats 2.0 software update - still can't import an MXF file with Panasonic LongG codec: "None of the selected files or folders can be imported. Change the selection and try again."
Sad bad job, Apple. You can do better than this.
I have reported it. One of the main things about this update was to support MXF LongG - Apple is bragging about it - and just this specific thing is NOT working. What can I say? Don't they even test the updates themself? Maybe they just dp theoretical checks - reading the code - actually not trying to import anything in real life? :-D

Return to posts index

Tony Peck
on Dec 3, 2014 at 10:31:18 pm

I just did a quick test and it worked great in FCPX. I had no problems at all. I only shot 5 minutes of video. I I'm going to do another test with longer footage.

Return to posts index

Jorgen Gustafson
on Dec 4, 2014 at 6:43:59 am

I'm comunicating with Apple now - they want to know what camera (AJ-PX270EJ) I used to create the file. The file is alson not on card - it's copied from card to hard disk. The drama goes on. :-)

Return to posts index

Jorgen Gustafson
on Dec 4, 2014 at 1:44:28 pm

QuickTime 7 Pro plays the file, but something is wrong:

QT says the file is 5,3 GB - it is not...it’s 238 MB in Finder and that’s right (it’s just one minute of 720p50).

QT says it plays with 746 Mbit/s!!! That’s also totally crazy - it’s a LongG file at 25 Mbit/s.

So - I have to make another file for testing, but the cam is not here now. And it’s scary if the camera make corrupted files (I have latest firmware).

I will do different files, maybe it’s just 720p50 that is a strange bastard.

I’ll be back.

Return to posts index

David Schumacher
on Dec 5, 2014 at 1:49:47 am

Were you using AVC-G 25? I just tried importing some AVC-G25 footage with FCPX and when I did, the program crashed. I didn't even get to selcet the clip I wanted to import. As soon as I pressed command-I the program crashed and a crash report came up. This is new. Crappy, but new. Way to go FCPX!

Return to posts index

Jorgen Gustafson
on Dec 5, 2014 at 6:59:06 am

Yes, it's AVC-G25.

Return to posts index

Jorgen Gustafson
on Dec 5, 2014 at 9:25:42 am

The file was corrupt! I have made new files - all sizes and codecs - everything works fine now :-)

Return to posts index

chris king
on Jan 26, 2015 at 9:07:12 am

Glad to hear your problem has been solved. For corrupted P2 MXF files, there are some tricks to get it work. Learn tips and tricks to fix corrupted P2 MXF clips on Mac.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]