FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2's AVC-I 100 codec via Apple AVC-I 100 or Pro Res 422 HQ options

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lee
P2's AVC-I 100 codec via Apple AVC-I 100 or Pro Res 422 HQ options
on Feb 2, 2014 at 6:26:27 pm

I'm having a hard time deciding between using FCP 7.0.3's Log & XFer w/ its ability to set the imported .MOV to native Apple AVC-I 100 codec vs Pro Res 422. There are a lot of clips (at least 6,000 hrs) over 7 years period and Pro Res 422 HQ is consuming too much hdd space because this is not a green screen shoot. In someway Pro Res 422 HQ is overkill for non-compositing footage. Mostly shot on 2/3" HPX3000 series cams. I personally can't tell the difference between AVC-I 100 vs Pro Res 422 HQ when converted. Perhaps someone can shed some lights to these codecs and which one should used for certain application.

The Apple's AVC-100 is smaller in size than Pro Res 422 HQ. The question is that is there any other 3rd party utility that will rewrap the P2's MXF to Apple native AVC-I 100 and not Pro Res 422 besides FCP 7?

I'm aware that I can do all of the P2 import in FCP 10.1. But I need to share the .MOV for After Effects CS6 and with full audio. CS6 will take the native P2 AVC-I 100 MXF fine, but only video but no audio. And it gets tedious when you have spanned clips and long takes. So the Log & Xfer to .MOV workflow is something I have to use.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: P2's AVC-I 100 codec via Apple AVC-I 100 or Pro Res 422 HQ options
on Feb 3, 2014 at 4:38:25 am

[Sam Lee] "CS6 will take the native P2 AVC-I 100 MXF fine, but only video but no audio"
P2 workflow is Premiere is flawless. You are not importing the MXF files correctly if you do not get audio.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
Re: P2's AVC-I 100 codec via Apple AVC-I 100 or Pro Res 422 HQ options
on Feb 4, 2014 at 3:31:51 am

I use both Premiere CS6 and FCP 10.1. However, majority of my creative edits are in FCP 10.1 and After FX CS6 for motion graphics. Talk about contradiction. I 'm not familiar with Motion. But very comfortable with AE CS6. The problem w/ AE is that it's linked only to Premiere CS6's edit. 2 years ago I hated the first FCP X release but with the 10.1, things are looking very good so far and I'm using it more and more over Premiere.

Premier CS6 will take the native P2 file structures & AVC-I with full audio just fine. But for some odd reasons w AE, it won't import the P2 contents folder but only the VIDEO folder with only the MXF files. The only way to get audio in AE cs6 is to Log & XFer in FCP 7 as a .MOV and both audio & video will import just fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]