FORUMS: list search recent posts

Longest Time Lapse Possible?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Karner
Longest Time Lapse Possible?
on Jan 28, 2014 at 12:07:16 pm

Hi everyone. Hope you're well. What settings should I use for the longest possible time lapse? I want to do it all day. I've got it all set up, no tech problems, but I'm uncertain of which interval time to select to go all day. I've got a 16 and 32gb in my hvx and it says I have about 53 minutes at my settings of 720/60. Any advice as to how to keep it going all day? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Joel Freedman
Re: Longest Time Lapse Possible?
on Jan 28, 2014 at 5:06:04 pm

It's just a math question.

If you have 53 minutes of record time that's 3180 seconds or 190,000 frames (at 60fps).

a Day has 24 hours which is 1440 minutes, and that is 86400 seconds, or 5,184,000 frames (at 60fps).

That means you need to cover 5,184,000 frames, but only have 190,000 to do it with. That means you only have enough card space to shoot 1 frame every 27 frames. Which is about a half a second at 60 fps.

Of course this means you will wind up with a 53 minute time lapse. not sure that is practical, but depends on how you are using it.

Shooting 60fps on a time lapse is wasteful since you will most likely be speeding this up, not slowing it down. If you use 30pn mode you can cut your media use in half. The math changes a little bit at 30 fps. You can do the math backwards also. It might be better figure out how long you want your final piece to be, then run the math. Always err on the side of more then you need. Time lapses are sped up motion anyway, so most people won't notice of your run it a little faster when you edit.

You can also do some tests. Run it for an hour in the shop, at different interval rates and see what works best for you.

Joel Freedman
http://www.2hungrydogs.com
twitter.com/2HungryDogs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]