FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rebuilding Folder Structure / No CONTENTS folder

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Race
Rebuilding Folder Structure / No CONTENTS folder
on Sep 3, 2013 at 5:13:52 pm

Hello,

I have recently upgraded from Premiere CS5 to CC. I have many projects I was editing in CS5 using MXF files from a Panasonic HVX200.

All the footage worked fine in CS5. It was brought into the projects in various ways;

File>import
Drag and drop
Media Browser

However, now I'm using CC I'm facing a bit of a problem. As you know, the Folder Structure for .MXF is as follows;

CONTENTS
AUDIO
CLIP
ICON
PROXY
VIDEO
VOICE

Now, depending on who transferred the footage from the camera, it is organised on the edit suite in one of two methods.

Method One; A new folder is created with the days date, for example, 100812card1 and then the CONTENTS folder and all subfolders are transferred into the that folder;

100812card1
CONTENTS
AUDIO
CLIP
ICON
PROXY
VIDEO
VOICE

Method Two; The original CONTENTS folder is renamed to the days date;

100812card1
AUDIO
CLIP
ICON
PROXY
VIDEO
VOICE

So, when I open a project in CC that was created in CS5 using footage that was transferred by Method One, I have no problems and the project runs smoothly.

However, if I open a project where the footage was transferred using Method Two, then all the footage in Premiere is labelled 'Media Pending'

The problem is clearly that I have renamed some of the CONTENTS folders. I have tried the following, without success.

Re linking the missing media and saving the project;

Renaming the folders we changed back to CONTENTS (This reveals the media in Media Browser window, which it didn't before, but has no effect on the media in the project)

The only change that has been made from the original footage from the camera is the renaming of the CONTENTS folder, all the other folders and files are still present and have not been modified.

So, my question is, how do I fix it?

Can I somehow rebuild the folder structure? Does changing the name of the CONTENTS folder and then changing it back have such a big effect? Or is it something else?

Many thanks in advance to anyone that can help me.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Rebuilding Folder Structure / No CONTENTS folder
on Sep 6, 2013 at 10:12:59 pm

Your damage has been done. NEVER mess with the cards structure. For fail proof and safe offloading, use Shotput Pro from Imagine Products!!! No excuse not to use it.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Ben Race
Re: building Folder Structure / No CONTENTS folder
on Sep 7, 2013 at 8:16:21 am

Steve,

Thanks for your incredibly optimistic and insightful post. And, especially, I'd like to thank you for emphasising how often you SHOULD NOT CHANGE THE FILE STRUCTURE by the clever use of CAPITALS.

Anyway, turns out is an easy fix.

Good job I learned that before I read your post.

THANKS ANYWAY STEVE!!!!!

Return to posts index

Tom Prigge
on Sep 10, 2013 at 1:40:35 pm

Ben,

Can you post how you fixed the problem? It could help someone in the future.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 16, 2013 at 2:48:55 am

Fortunately Premiere reads the MXF files in the VIDEO folder natively. Overall it's an easy fix. Just have to revert to the original card structure. That would be a Folder with the Project Name. Inside that would be a CONTENTS FOLDER which includes:
AUDIO
CLIP
ICON
PROXY
VIDEO
VOICE
and a LASTCLIP.TXT file.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mads Nilsson
on Dec 20, 2015 at 11:01:23 am

Hi Steve. Searched for days to find an answer to my problem: For some reason I got a "Format err!" warning when firing up a bought Panasonic HVX200. The cam could not read the P2-card in slot 1. At the card I have 17 valuable clips I really need - and managed to "recover" them with BYClouder P2 Recovery software. I can see big mfx-files, but the whole folder structure is gone. So is "lastclip.txt". Is it possbile to rebuild this on my pc, as it is not that much clips? How do I proceed? Best and thank you a lot in beforehand.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]