FORUMS: list search recent posts

Salvaging corrupt video .MXF's (AVC-Intra 100 on HPX2000)

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Peters
Salvaging corrupt video .MXF's (AVC-Intra 100 on HPX2000)
on Jul 7, 2013 at 1:26:45 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been scouring the internet to try to find a solution to a problem I ran into yesterday. I was shooting a wedding on a Panasonic AJ-HPX2000P using the AVC-Intra 100 codec, system mode at 1080 59.97i, camera mode at 1080 24p recording to the P2 card slots. After the ceremony, I went to dump my first card and noticed all the clip thumbnails were either black or colorful static noise. They also all had a starting timecode of 00:00:00 even though I never reset the timecode on the camera before the shoot, so it should have started at two or three hours and some change. However, the clips' durations and file sizes seemed to be accurate. The clips would not play back in camera or on the computer.

I started messing around and switching codecs, resolutions, and framerates to record short test clips. Nothing would play back, but the DVCProHD clips would at least have accurate thumbnails.

The other videographer I was working with had brought a Windows 8 laptop with Adobe CS6, we tried converting the files and it would crash Adobe Media Converter, importing the .MXF's into Premiere showed a video track about 1/4th the length of the audio tracks (plain black content-wise ... but the audio came through fine), and VLC would open the .MXF's and say it was playing (play button would appear as pause) but the playhead wouldn't move and it would stay at 00:00:00 and a black screen. I decided to reformat my remaining cards and keep recording AVC-Intra 100 1080 24p for the reception in hopes I could figure out how to salvage these clips.

So I use about another 32 GB card for the reception. When I get home, I take a look at this card and see the same problem until about the last 6 clips out of 20-some GB's used total. These last 6 are completely normal ... which is curious since it's starting in the middle of a card.

I converted all the files from both cards to Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) through Final Cut Pro 7.0.3's "Log and Transfer" method on my Mac Pro OSX 10.6.8. The resulting .mov files appear green the majority of the time, with various stripes of distorted cubish color coming and going, and occasionally a freezeframe of recognizable video kind of flickering behind the stripes in place of the plain green color.

Since the starting timecodes were all zeroed out for the flawed clips, and the working clips had accurate info, I'm hoping that adjusting the file headers or metadata can somehow make the footage recognizable or something. This is really the only gleam of hope I have at the moment. Are there any other options I could look at? Do you think it is hopeless? Have you ever had similar issues? This one seemed to happen out of nowhere. Thanks so much!

Nicholas

Return to posts index

Joel Freedman
Re: Salvaging corrupt video .MXF's (AVC-Intra 100 on HPX2000)
on Jul 7, 2013 at 8:27:24 pm

Did you try to put the cards back in the camera and use the "repair clip" function?

Joel Freedman
http://www.2hungrydogs.com
twitter.com/2HungryDogs

Return to posts index

Nicholas Peters
on Jul 7, 2013 at 11:01:14 pm

I just tried that, it said "No Repair Clip" for all of them. Thanks though!

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Sep 25, 2013 at 3:22:22 pm

Did you ever discover a fix or workaround for this? I'm having similar issues.

Thanks,
James

JPD

Return to posts index

Nicholas Peters
on Sep 26, 2013 at 4:11:39 pm

Nope :/

The HPX2000 got sent back to Panasonic for repair and came back fixed ... of course with no detail about how they fixed it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]