FORUMS: list search recent posts

need another P2 card reader

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Slenker
need another P2 card reader
on Jun 26, 2013 at 8:23:53 pm

Hey guys,

I have an AJ-PCD2G USB2 single-slot P2 card reader. It has served me well enough. I just got a new iMac 27" and plan to re-purpose my older Mac Pro as another editing workstation. The AJ-PCD2G P2 card reader can stay with it but I want another P2 card reader to use with my new iMac (2 TB, 4 USB3 ports.) What are you guys using to offload P2 cards as fast as possible?

I know the AJ-PCD30PJ exists but its price tag is too steep (~$2,200 new/~$1,400 used.) The Sonnet Technologies Qio-TB looks interesting since it comes with a Thunderbolt adapter and it's price tag (~$895) is more reasonable but is it any good? There aren't many reviews out there from P2 users and Helmut Kobler's early review (2yrs ago) mentioned it transferring P2 card data a lot slower than SxS, compact flash, etc. One thing that concerns me is that I only have 2 TB ports and this Qio-TB device doesn't seem to give the user any daisy chain connectivity.

Looking through older Cow forums, it seems that a fast (USB3 or above) P2 card reader at a reasonable price has always been something Panasonic has failed to manufacture. I see they have now begun manufacturing a new single-slot, USB3, micro-P2 card reader (AJ-MPD1G) at a price I would pay ($335) but I don't use micro-P2 and don't plan to any time soon. I have various full-size P2 cards (32GB & 64GB) and for now, they serve my storage capacity needs. It seems that Panasonic has finally started to address a market need (low-cost, 2-slot P2 USB3 reader) but have skipped over existing P2 customers in favor of newer technology (micro-P2) that will still take a little while for users to migrate to.

What should I do?

Thanks,
Bob

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: need another P2 card reader
on Jun 28, 2013 at 12:38:49 am

I invested in the PCD-35 and have never looked back. You can get a used one for around $1200-1500.

It's the fastest one out there. Combined with Shotput Pro, I can offload a full 64GB card with verification in 22 minutes.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]