FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert P2 structure to friendlier single file format for PC (or Mac)?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Vak
Convert P2 structure to friendlier single file format for PC (or Mac)?
on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:31:17 pm

I am working with P2 files on a PC, but have trouble dealing with P2 folders/files. I used to import the files on Mac with Final Cut Pro 7 (now unavailable) and it would conveniently convert P2 videos to .mov files without re-encoding, which is what I want. I can handle these .mov on the PC (Raylight Decoder installed). Is there another easy, hopefully free way to convert/wrap P2 card content into PC-friendly single file format (mov or even mkv for example) without re-encoding? Even if it has to be done on a Mac? Thanks...

Return to posts index

Philip Merten
Re: Convert P2 structure to friendlier single file format for PC (or Mac)?
on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:22:04 pm

What software are you editing on?

Return to posts index

Alex Vak
on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:27:20 pm

Using mostly TMPGEnc software (Video Mastering/Authoring), which will happily accept mov/mkv files.

Return to posts index

Philip Merten
on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:36:45 pm

If you are looking to transcode P2 files to Quicktimes you can use Sorenson Squeeze or Adobe Media Encoder..

Return to posts index

Alex Vak
on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:41:34 pm

Can this be done without re-encoding? I thought Adobe applications (don't know about Sorenson) always re-encode. I am almost sure FCP7 did the "conversion" to .mov losslessly, since it was an extremely fast process - through "Log and Transfer", if I remember correctly.

Return to posts index

Philip Merten
on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:49:32 pm

Both of them re-encode the material. I'm not familiar with the software you are editing with, but with Avid, Final Cut, Premiere, etc...this is not an issue...

Return to posts index

Alex Vak
on Apr 30, 2013 at 7:14:24 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I think ffmbc (free tool) will do this with its rewrap function, I'll give it a try.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 1, 2013 at 12:41:19 am

If you used Premiere on a PC, you wouldn't re-encode. it would work with the MXF files native. Avid on a PC...consolidate and it's still native...no reencoding.

The software you are talking about, TMPGEnc, is an encoder...not editing software. So you want to just encode the raw P2 files to something...do no editing? And the software doesn't work with MXF, so you are looking for another solution?

I'm curious. You have used FCP 7 in the past...why not continue to use it? it didn't break. You just switched platforms and are doing things differently. Avid will access the P2 media, and can export a SAME AS SOURCE Quicktime. Although that seems a bit much if all you want is one file.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Vak
on May 1, 2013 at 11:05:16 am

Video Mastering Works can edit, too. Certainly not as advanced as Avid/Premiere but way cheaper and more flexible in some ways. FCP7 has been uninstalled and is not available. This is a very interesting find, I will test and report. It reportedly can re-wrap to mp4/mov.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 1, 2013 at 10:29:59 pm

The workflow is different on a PC than with FCP 7. FCP 4-7 never was able to read the original MXF files from P2 cards. The way to get the files on your system was to use log and transfer. FCP would create a whole new DVCProHD video file from your P2 data.

NLE's such as Adobe Premier and Avid Media Composer work with the native P2 MXF files and all you do is import those files on your system. Premiere and Media Composer are identical on the Mac and PC.

Your question is a little confusing. Do you want to take your DVCProHD codec (QuickTime) files from a Mac and use them on a PC? Or do you want to import P2 files on a PC NLE?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Alex Vak
on May 1, 2013 at 11:44:48 pm

My goal is to find an inexpensive way (on a PC, preferably) to create those .mov files FCP7 generates from P2 cards (with Log and Transfer), without having to use FCP7. It is important that no re-encoding occurs. I am confident "Log and Transfer" does not re-encode, but merely re-wraps/remuxes the separate .mxf audio/video clips into a single .mov file which contains both audio and video. I know Premiere/Avid can handle P2 cards directly, but that's not what I am after. To summarise, I need my P2 DVCPRO HD clips stored/transfered as .mov files, not in P2 folder format where audio/video files are split. Embedded metadata is not critical.

I did a quick test with the aforementioned AWPro Client, but it generated a video-only .mov file.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 1, 2013 at 11:57:50 pm

Well, no other app does that to my knowledge. FCP was Quicktime based, so it needed to wrap files in QT in order to see them. Avid is MXF based, so nothing needed to be done. Adobe, Vegas, Edius...all read MXF files natively. And PCs aren't Quicktime based...they like AVI and other Windows formats.

Well, I did find something, but because they spam the heck out of this site, I can't post a link to it as it will be flagged. A-U-N-S-O-F-T Video Converter for the PC converts MXF to MP4...Not lossless. For client review.

From all my searching, I find no solution similar to what FCP did...because all the PC editing apps can deal with the P2 format natively. Heck, even when you converted the DVCPRO HD to QT with FCP, only computers WITH FCP installed could view them.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Peter Yiannos
on Apr 26, 2017 at 2:46:27 am

Saw this post is 4 years old,shows how my camera is out of date.Using p2 converters only convert the video and leave the audio ie the video has no sound.What can I use to convert p2 to use in editor like sony movie studio 12 or even for direct upload to yyoutube so I can use their editing platform(mostly soccer games at the moment). When I do start the doco side of things am I forced to succumb to premier pro? or is there an alternative for PC? thanks if you happen to see this

Return to posts index

Woody Retherford
on May 23, 2017 at 4:06:50 pm

I have used Pavtube MXF converter, which is very in-expensive. It has limited output options but will convert to Quicktime using the H-264 codec at HD quality while combining the audio and video. It will also convert to Avid DNXHD which I don't need but you may.

Woody Retherford

Return to posts index

Woody Retherford
on May 23, 2017 at 4:33:11 pm

One problem is there is no way I know of to pick and choose which audio channels you want to use to convert

Woody Retherford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]