FORUMS: list search recent posts

reverse telecine

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Kauffmann
reverse telecine
on Apr 1, 2013 at 6:14:42 pm

So, I shot HVX200 1080i 24p (later I'll learned I should have shot 24Pa). So through compressor I can reverse telecine the footage and I get the result I like. My question is, can I edit the whole piece first and then reverse telecine the edited video? or do I need to reverse telecine the individual clips (which I have hundreds of)? If I do that latter will it get rid of the appropriate frames? This might be a stupid question, I just don't know how reverse telecine works. Thanks, Julian

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: reverse telecine
on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:34:01 am

All depends on which edit system you are working on and what version. I'll assume FCP but don't know what version. If 6 or 7, just log and transfer and make sure you select Remove advanced pulldown in the L & T preferences.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:35:36 am

Drop a clip in your timeline and let FCP create the correct sequence setting.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Per Argentine
on Apr 10, 2013 at 8:02:08 pm

Been a while since I've dealt with something like this (used to own an HVX200) so I may be incorrect. But I believe FCP will only "remove advanced pulldown" on 24pa footage, not 24p (pa stands for pulldown advanced?). One of them encodes extra fields and the other extra frames, something like that from what I remember. So if you import your 1080i24p footage first without removing the extra frames, or extra fields, and edit at 1080i you'll end up with a sequence that has extra fields/frames at random places rather than in a cadence throughout your show. Compressor supposedly can detect these and remove them but I've had varying success in the past. So if FCP can't remove the pulldown when you ingest, you'd be better off doing a reverse telecine on all your footage to create true 1080p24 shots and then bringing those into FCP so you can edit at 24p.

It would probably be a good idea to check the 200's manual, and FCP's manual on ingesting different codecs (at the top of the screen under Help). It might give you some answers on how the camera and FCP are handling the 1080i24p footage. There is also a really good book called the "Missing Manual" that goes through and actually explains all the different settings in the 200, and there was a chapter on all the different resolution and framerate settings, how they worked, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]