FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080i 24p confusion

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Kauffmann
1080i 24p confusion
on Apr 1, 2013 at 4:57:53 pm

So, this weekend I shot footage for a client using the HVX200 camera. And stupidly, I find out now, I set the settings to 1080i 24p (from what I understand now I should have set it to 24pa). So from what I understand on this site it is actually 29.97 frame rate. The confusing thing for me is when I put the footage into final cut I find I need to change the sequence settings to lower fields for the footage to look decent. I thought that it was progressive, is that right? It looks like it is duplicating the frames to make it 29.97. Can I remove those frames with reversed telecine? I tried this but I found I was getting strange artifacts. I need to track this footage in AE but I can't do that with the cadence. And my final question, is the footage resolution 1920 by 1080? I'm sick to my stomach that I made such a stupid mistake. Is there anyway to get rid of this cadence or am I stuck in this 29.97 frame rate? Thanks, Julian

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: 1080i 24p confusion
on Apr 1, 2013 at 10:23:47 pm

I think you should have shoot at 24PN, that is 24 real frames instead of the 29.97 with duplicated frames.

I'll use the footage as you have it right now, and then export the final render to a real 24 frame format.

DVCPro format doesn't use square pixels at 1080, so your real resolution is 1280 x 1080 anamorphic.

I don't know in Final Cut, but After Effects you can right click on the clip and choose "Interpret Footage" to experiment with the settings if you are getting some artifacts.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it in Premere, but the principles are very similar in After Effects.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/devis_andrew/Interpreting-Footage-P...

I hope this helps

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 3, 2013 at 1:29:33 am

That camera only shoots 24pN at 720p. If they want 1080, then they need to shoot 1080i 24pA...advanced pulldown that gets removed when ingested into the NLE.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Apr 3, 2013 at 1:48:11 pm

True

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]