FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble copying and ingesting p2 cards

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francesca Soans
Trouble copying and ingesting p2 cards
on Mar 23, 2013 at 1:32:36 am

Hi, I am caught between old and new technologies in the middle of a project and need help. I am trying to both ingest and copy the contents of p2 cards and keep running into problems recently although this workflow worked fine before.
System: mac powerbook G4 with 10.4.11 (yes, that's old)
p2 F series and older cards
Panasonic HVX200AP
FCP 6.0.6

Prob 1: When I use the Finder to copy the contents of the p2 including the Contents Folder and Lasttext, it does not work consistently. Gives me error-36.
I read earlier posts about using PCMS software but that needs an Intel processor--I have a power pc. Is there something else available for a power pc? I also read Shane Ross's suggestions but they don't apply in my case.

Prob 2: When I use Log and transfer to ingest either directly from the card or from the hard drive folder created above, the transfer does not go through.

Prob 3: This seemed to happen with spanned clips for footage than ran over two cards, so I altered my shooting to stop shooting 5 minutes before the end of a card. I then removed the card before resuming shooting with the second card. despite this, some of the files are still marked spanned. How is that possible?

I need to be able to back up my footage to reuse the cards and am in the middle of production. Does anyone have any solutions? Thanks

Return to posts index

Marcus van Bavel
Re: Trouble copying and ingesting p2 cards
on Mar 24, 2013 at 3:10:18 am

Regarding problem 2&3, you might look at Raylight for Mac to import the clips instead of using Log and Transfer. It works on a Power PC. It handles each MXF file separately so there is less chance of a problem with spanned clips (because it ignores spanning and you group-drag the spanned clips into your sequence instead). Also it does not re-wrap the clips but instead makes a small QT reference file, so it runs much faster than Log & Transfer.

http://dvfilm.com/raylight/mac

Raylight by DVFilm
dvfilm.com/raylight

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Trouble copying and ingesting p2 cards
on Mar 25, 2013 at 12:02:40 am

Spend the money and get ShotPut Pro. Finder copy is very unreliable especially on an old system like yours.

Upgrade your computer and OS in order to use the latest software.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]