FORUMS: list search recent posts

GPS Coordinates burned into frame on Panasonic HPX

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bores
GPS Coordinates burned into frame on Panasonic HPX
on Mar 4, 2013 at 5:35:28 pm

I shoot pre-construction videos for excavating contractors before they begin construction on roadways with a Panasonic HPX 170 and lately the engineers have been requiring a continuous GPS coordinate burned into the video frame along with date and time. I have figured out how to get the date and time in the video frame while recording but have no idea how I will get GPS as well. I really do not want to purchase a new camera as this HPX is only a year old. I have been researching online and have a few leads with the metadata for P2 card's but I have no idea if or how this would work. Read something about SD cards with GPS capabilities and I know the HPX has an SD card slot for reading metadata? but this is all over my head!

Any advice/suggestions would be extremely helpful!

thank you

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: GPS Coordinates burned into frame on Panasonic HPX
on Mar 4, 2013 at 8:07:33 pm

I could see something where you feed the camera's video and a GPS into a keyer and then record that signal. Or put a GPS unit somewhere in the frame where it's not blocking anything else and just record it that way. But within the camera itself somehow, not sure that's possible.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Joel Freedman
on Mar 4, 2013 at 11:34:04 pm

I don't think you could do it in camera. You could build a rig to mount something like a gopro shooting a GPS, then key, or wipe in that signal to your camera video in editing.

Good luck

Joel Freedman
http://www.2hungrydogs.com
twitter.com/2HungryDogs

Return to posts index

Brad Bores
on Mar 5, 2013 at 2:00:12 am

this is an excerpt from the Panasonic P2 users guide, it talks about use-definable metadata files including GPS coordinates. I would be okay if I have to add the GPS in final cut pro I just need to make sure it is in the video frame on the dvd

"What type of metadata files does P2 HD support? Can I customize this metadata for my application?
All P2 camcorders record video with some standard metadata fields, including individual camera type, camera serial
number, and unique user clip ID. In addition, P2 supports 30 user-definable metadata files including shooter, reporter,
location, scene, text memo and GPS coordinates.
The Metadta can be uploaded to the camera after first being composed on the computer. This is done using the free P2
Viewer and P2CMS applications, as well as by the TEP-HD and P2 Log family of products from Imagine Software. The
Metadata is then saved onto an SD Card and inserted into the camera whereby it can be uploaded into the camera by using
the Metadata upload function under the Thumbnail menus. All P2 cameras will allow for incrementing the User Clip Name
if you have the camera under the Metadata Type 2 operation. This is also in the Metadata menus in the Thumbnail mode."

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Mar 5, 2013 at 11:32:33 pm

The HPX cameras do NOT have built in GPS so there is no way for it to capture GPS coordinates in metadata. I have a Sony HXR-NX5U that DOES have internal GPS that is recorded in metadata and you can pull it and add it as a text to the clips in the NLE. Very few cameras have the ability to capture real time GPS coordinates while recording. If you don't want to replace the camera, the only option is to carry around a GPS and write down the coordinates everytime you move your shot and add it later in the editor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]