FORUMS: list search recent posts

Card Reader Woes

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron huebner
Card Reader Woes
on Feb 28, 2013 at 9:23:43 pm

I'm having a new Premiere edit station built and the builder used a new motherboard that supports the fastest new SandyBridge processors. All is ok until we try to install a Sonnet QiO to upload content from P2 cards. The motherboard uses PCIe 3.0.
QIO P2 drivers will not work with PCIe 3.0. According to Sonnet they just finished the drivers for 2.0 and have no idea when they will even start on 3.0 drivers.
So I check into switching to Panasonic P2 card readers. Those that use the PCI bus are ALSO not PCIe 3.0 compliant. I'm trying to avoid the USB 2.0 AJ-PCD2GPJ Single-Slot P2 Memory Card Drive due to speed.
So I find the AJ-PCD30PJ that Panasonic touts as the fastest way to offload P2 cards available (USB 3.0). Great! I have lots of USB 3.0 on the new system. Problem is that my vendor AND B&H says it's been discontinued and isn't available. Panasonic says it is still on our website, so it's not discontinued.
So, I tried the Sonnet Express Card Adaptor in my laptop, a Dell M6400. the bus "bings" when you plug the adaptor in AND when you put a P2 card in the slot, but the card never shows up. When the computer boots, it fails when loading most of the drivers. Call to Sonnet results in being told that there's a 50/50 chance of the drivers working with my bios. The tech checked their list and said the M6400 had never been tested. The actual list of tested and approved laptops is a total of 3 machines if I'm not mistaken.
I just got off the phone with another vendor who says he can get the AJ-PCD30PJ...anyone want to make a wager how that's going to go?
I will entertain any ideas short of suicide from the gathered P2 sages.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]