FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX-250 LCD Screen

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Zapotocky
HPX-250 LCD Screen
on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:45:08 pm

When I playback footage of video that I recorded in HD on the camera's LCD screen, it doesn't look like it's in focus. When I get it back in post production, the footage is in focus.

I have two HPX-250's and they both do the same thing. Doesn't the LCD screen on the camera have HD resolution or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Larry

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: HPX-250 LCD Screen
on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:19:51 am

My 250 does the same thing. Very sharp when shooting. Soft when playing back.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on Feb 13, 2013 at 2:08:28 pm

Thanks for the info. Do you know if that is just the way it is from the factory?

Larry

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
on Feb 15, 2013 at 1:58:42 am

I find that the image is sharp when I am shooting and soft *in reality* when I post process.

My clients are complaining about the image quality.

I am going to experiment with focus assist, but am considering another camera.

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on Feb 15, 2013 at 6:42:56 pm

Let me know if you find out any more info.

Thanks,
Larry

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
on Feb 15, 2013 at 8:35:04 pm

I played with the focus assist last nite and it works really well for close focus but is pretty useless at long distances.
It does blow up the image 3x but the focus "success" bar is isolated to the left end of the bar range. Max usage is about 10% of the information the bar would reveal. Read: useless.

I am really unhappy with the quality of the image I am getting. Auto focus works the best -- but this is no good for stage work because everytime the auto focus gets confused it hunts, ruining the quality of the video image.

My previous Pan camera was a 100B and it was dead on when I pre-focused it. This Pan 250 does a manual focus fine, but the DOF is too narrow for sharp images.

Very frustrating.

Regards to all, Bill

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on Feb 15, 2013 at 9:07:14 pm

On that note,

I'm not sure if you know this, but The focus assist has an option in the camera menu to change it from that "zoom in" to red outline of whatever is in focus(not sure if that's clear or not). The red outline makes it easier to focus.

Larry

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
on Feb 15, 2013 at 9:52:56 pm

Larry, I'll try that option.

After playing, I'll post results.

Bill

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:15:29 am

Bill Parsons,

What NLE are you using and are you shooting HD or SD? Editing HD or SD? We had a demo 250 in the shop today and everything shot in HD looked amazing until loaded into Avid. Then it looked soft and horrible. Turns out the issue was not the camera but Avid. We still edit and air in SD. AVID's scale down if HD video to SD was the issue. When we changed the Avid project settings from DV25 to AVC Intra100, everything was crisp and perfect. We learned a valuable lesson today because, in the short term, we had planned on shooting and archiving everything in HD but downconverting to SD for air by transcoding HD clips to DV25 in Avid. We now know that won't work as planned.

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
on Mar 15, 2013 at 12:35:42 pm

Thanks for the input.
BTW, I am using Final Cut Pro on a MacBookPro.
I believe I have solved my problem. I am using the zoom-focus remote on the 250 because I need to ride 'iris' for dance performance video.
The remote has an auto and manual setting for each of the focus and zoom settings. The remote operates as if the auto setting is equivalent to 'off.' So, I needed iris and had that set to manual. I did not want focus, so set it to auto. The camera focus was set to manual and I pre-focused.
I seems that this wiring causes the focus to drift. During a shoot last weekend, I tried manual on both the camera and the remote. This does not cause drift and the focus stays sharp.
I still have to generate a DVD, but it looks a lot better in FCP on the mbp screen.
It's a little frustrating when the client says, 'the focus is soft.' :(
Thanks for the responses. Regards to all, Bill

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on Mar 15, 2013 at 1:03:47 pm

I'm using Premiere Pro CS 5.5. I did check to make sure the codec was correct and I have it on Intra-100. I'm doing some more tests and using different monitors, so I will let you know.

I'm still not sure why the video is soft in the LCD.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]