FORUMS: list search recent posts

IMAG a video wall.

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Crist
IMAG a video wall.
on Feb 3, 2013 at 7:40:27 pm

Does anyone have tips to IMAG (Image MAGnification) a video wall? I am going to be working on a project where I am filming a speaker (with a Panasonic HPX-250, probably 1080/24p) who will be standing in front of a wall of TFT LCD TVs, with the feed being transmitted live via HD-SDI to several projectors displaying on large screens in the room? I am not especially worried about flickering or scan lines (I can adjust the shutter speed to correct for that), but my experience has been that TV screens look significantly cooler on camera than they look live. I can't white balance my camera to make the TVs look right (assuming that would work) because the speaker will look wrong on the projected video. If I change the white balance of the TV screens to look balanced on the projected video, they will look off when you look at the screens themselves. Essentially, I need to get the video wall to look the same live and on the projection without throwing off the color balance for the speaker. Otherwise, it will look odd to a person sitting there to see the video wall change color on the IMAG projections.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joel Freedman
Re: IMAG a video wall.
on Feb 4, 2013 at 12:50:45 pm

Do you have control of the lighting? Ideally the light lights for the stage should match the color temperature of the wall. This should make it all look good.

Joel Freedman
http://www.2hungrydogs.com
twitter.com/2HungryDogs

Return to posts index

Terry Crist
on Feb 4, 2013 at 2:49:55 pm

I do have control over the stage lighting.

Would matching the color temperature of the lighting to that of the video wall be enough? I am worried that when I white balance for that, my skin tones will still be off.

Return to posts index

Joel Freedman
on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:00:40 am

The best way to know for sure is to test, but in theory if the color temp of the stage and the color temp of the screen are the same, it should all look good.

Joel Freedman
http://www.2hungrydogs.com
twitter.com/2HungryDogs

Return to posts index

Terry Crist
on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:56:26 pm

So we installed the video wall last night (9 LCD TVs in a 3x3 grid) and sure enough, the camera is recording decidedly cooler image than what you would see by looking at the TVs. Given our stage lighting, my camera's white balance is in the 3,200K range and the TVs from the factory appear to be around 7,000K. I tried lowering the TV white balance to match the camera (thinking that I could just re-color the source media to compensate), but even at 3,000K the TVs still look much cooler on camera than in person. I have tried white balancing off the TVs themselves, but as you might expect everything else, including people standing on stage in front of them, look like orange oompa-loompas. I really need to figure out a solution to this, because the camera image is being projected onto screens to the sides of the stage, so you will notice that the TV wall is too cool.

Even if I could adjust the color temperature of the lights (I don't think I can), would that really be enough to compensate for the intense orange color cast?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:02:58 pm

Gel the set lights. Light Blue.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]