FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPM-259 and focus technique

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Parsons
HPM-259 and focus technique
on Feb 1, 2013 at 6:45:41 pm

I purchased an HPX-250 this year and find most of its capabilities very pleasing. However, it differs from my previous Pan 100b cameras in the way it focuses.

I do mostly (dance) performance video and have made it a practice in the past to pre-focus the camera. This had the advantage of keeping the camera from hunting for focus when the stage is empty -- very annoying and distracting when viewing a video.

Up until I started using this camera, this technique worked very well for me. With this camera, I keep getting soft focus. That is, the image just isn't sharp enough.

I ask those who shoot movement video: do you let the camera handle your focus chores, and how much hunting occurs with the camera you use.

Many thanks. This camera may not have long to live in my house.
Regards, Bill

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
Re: HPM-250 and focus technique
on Feb 2, 2013 at 11:55:27 pm

I played this afternoon with autofocus and manual focus from a distance that equates to the back of the theater.

This camera doesn't have much DOF when in manual focus (or, at DV definition I just didn't see that the DOF wasn't very D) and when using autofocus, it hunts a various times -- definitely NOT desired.

If no one has any suggestions, this guy is gonna get lost.

Regards, Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]