FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX250 vs 5D MKii Green Screen

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Crowell
HPX250 vs 5D MKii Green Screen
on Dec 10, 2012 at 10:57:06 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm shooting a fairly straightforward green screen video. It will be a large green screen (~10'x8'), and I have some good lighting for it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which camera would be easier to key off of? I was planning on shooting in AVC100 10-bit 4:22, but does the 5D's larger sensor give me any advantages? Any thoughts on noise settings, as I'll be recording a band who likes to move around in a small area (no really action, just a guitarist and drummer who like to have fun).

Thanks!
-Justin

Video editor, animator, composer, producer
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HPX250 vs 5D MKii Green Screen
on Dec 11, 2012 at 1:31:41 am

The sensor is only a factor if you are recording to a better format. SO if all things were equal, and you were recording from the Canon to say an AJA KiPro as ProRes, then yes, the sensor on the 5D would be better. But you are recording to H.264 on Flash cards. H.264 is bar far WORSE than AVC100...you'll get a much cleaner key from the Panasonic camera.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Dec 11, 2012 at 3:21:51 pm

Ah that makes sense! Thanks for pointing that out. Any thoughts on the whole noise-reduction issue? I suppose it shouldn't be drastically important if I light things right, so I should probably avoid the whole 3DNR setting?

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 11, 2012 at 4:54:35 pm

The DSLR's are not great for pulling keys, but it can be done.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Dec 16, 2012 at 4:17:03 am

We've had and HPX250 for a year plus and have now added an HPX255 with EC4 paint box. These cameras are great for green screen. Best codec in a palmcorder.

Have not had issues with the 3DNR, although not shooting a lot of action. The PAP1 3DNR improves sensitivity and noise to levels similar to an EX1/EX3, but with a better codec for keying.

Make sure DRS is off, as this can cause a halo effect around the subjects. Best to shoot at an f4.0.

I'm not a fan of using large sensor cameras for green screen--have to shoot at an f5.6 or slower for a sharp key edge. I personally think the 5D is one of the worst cameras to shoot green screen with.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Michael W. Towe
on Dec 16, 2012 at 10:13:30 pm

I have had a 250 for about a year as well and it works great for green screen stuff. The added bonus is that you won't have to deal with second source sound with the 250, that alone would push me in the direction of the 250.

Michael W. Towe
President M2 Digital Post
http://www.m2digitalpost.com

Return to posts index

Chuck
on Dec 26, 2012 at 3:51:14 am

I've used the HPX-250 and FCPX for green screen projects. The results are amazing.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pelini
on Dec 26, 2012 at 3:55:41 am

I've been using the HPX-250 with FCPX for green screen and have gotten amazing results.

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Jan 3, 2013 at 5:18:40 pm

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm really excited to use this camera now!

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Jan 10, 2013 at 5:09:46 pm

How are you importing the footage? My plan is to bring them in through FCP7's L+T as 422 HQ, then trying the key in FCPX and AE to compare results. I assume there is no value to going to 4444 because I'm recording in 4:2:2 and only 10-bit depth, anyway, right?

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Wolf Austad
on Feb 8, 2013 at 7:49:30 am

For footage originated with a 1/3" camera and AVC-Intra 100 codec there's not much of a benefit to go 4:4:4:4. Unless you need an alpha channel in the codec. Or if you plan a lot of roundtrips in post. The vast majority of compositing apps work in RGB, so it can be beneficial to convert to a RGB codec right away, and keep that codec throughout post, instead of having the app convert back and forth between YUV and RGB every time you go in and out of an app. But to see a noticeable difference you would probably have to shoot with a higher end camera to begin with.

Aasulv Wolf Austad, fnf
Director of Photography
Los Angeles based

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]