FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic HVX200 - BEST CHOICE FOR $3,000?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Clarendon
Panasonic HVX200 - BEST CHOICE FOR $3,000?
on Nov 12, 2012 at 10:00:37 pm

Doing research for a friend. Have not followed camera debates in a years. Is the HVX200 with P2 CARDS obsolete? Also, whats everyones view on the best camera to buy for around $3,000 (I ask becuase it seems the HVX is available now for about that but p2 still seems pricey...

Camera will be used for corporate and maybe a small amount of broadcast projects.

Steve

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Panasonic HVX200 - BEST CHOICE FOR $3,000?
on Nov 14, 2012 at 3:08:00 pm

Maybe go with the HCM series by Panasonic, they record to SD cards.

With regards to P2, the HPX170 used would be an excellent choice for your price range. Probably cost $2200 for the cam.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 15, 2012 at 5:29:55 am

I agree with the HPX-170.

[Steve Clarendon] "p2 still seems pricey"
Yes, compared to SD cards, P2 cards are pricey. Don't think of the P2 card/s as a lump sum payment. Think about the many years of use you will get out of them and the return on investment. Compare that to the price of tape if you were using it today. You would spend thousands of dollars on tape compared to P2. Look for used P2 cards. There are tons of deals out there. Look at 64 and 32GB.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthy
on Nov 17, 2012 at 3:16:03 am

Actually, HVX200 in very good condition, with P2 cards can be had on eBay for $700. Here is a link to an auction that just closed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130802686220?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984...

I know this because I have two of these cameras, and a lot of gear to go with them (DOF adapter, P2 Store, FS-100). I follow the price as a habit.

Despite the fact that the price of the camera has gone down, I think that this camera has a lot of life. In a controlled lighting situation, with good lenses, it delivers a look that will satisfy most of my commercial clients.

As an independent producer working on mostly web destined content, I do a lot of green screen, and staged video in the studio, and the HVX delivers a great image under proper lighting. Outside of the studio, the HVX is well built and capable, but I had to upgrade to an AF100. I appreciate the form factor of the HVX, even if it have a useless miniDV build (SD only,really?), I appreciate that I can now get cheap p2 (which is built to last).

Unless you are working at a higher commercial level, I think it is a great, cheap camera. When you get the client that can pay you, get an AF100, or one of the newer Sony cams (but if you were in that range, you wouldn't be asking about the HVX). About 18 months ago, I bought a 5d MarkII because clients asked for it. I don't really like it as a shooter, but it is "all the rage" right now, so I can make money with it. I plan on upgrading to a 4K cam/RED when I can land a few big fish.

Good luck in your decision.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]