FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic HPX300, excessive noise in the image.

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javier Lopez
Panasonic HPX300, excessive noise in the image.
on Oct 24, 2012 at 11:29:11 pm

Helle gentleman,

I ave an issue with the Panasonic HPX300, I am shooing at -3db gain to minimize excessive noise and grain, I have the same results shooting outdoors under a sunny day or indoors with a light kit, can anyone post any suggestions on the settings please?. I did post this issue but I had an incomplete response on the setting to use.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Panasonic HPX300, excessive noise in the image.
on Oct 25, 2012 at 9:15:53 pm

What is your master ped set at?
Using a certain scene file?

I think the 300 is a bit noisy in general.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Michelle-Mimi Productions
on Oct 26, 2012 at 12:53:45 pm

Hi,

We are having the same issue with our HPX-370. The image is very buzzy and fuzzy.

We have had this issue with this camera off and on since we purchased it a year ago. Also our view finder did not work.

We sent it to Panasonic in NJ, the replaced the guts on the inside with all brand new parts and the image is still fuzzy.

It seems the worst when the lens is wide open. It is also really bad when you use an ND filter outside.

We have dialed the gain down to -3 and still the problem is there. Does anyone know of how to get this to go away? And us too-you don't see this on the viewfinder. You see it when you import the P2 footage into FCP.

I got on the phone with Panasonic yesterday and they tried to tell me that it was a problem with our editing software. I told him that was a joke. And guess what else he told me. The parts from our camera when it was first shipped came from a supplier that they do not normally use, due to the Tsunami in Japan. He said that the parts in our camera now are from preferred supplier now. Hmmmm.

Any ideas? We are about ready to tell Panasonic to take this camera back and give us our money.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 27, 2012 at 2:58:46 am

HPX-300 was known for being noisy. 370 improved a lot. You have to adjust your scene settings to reduce the noise. This is where a quality monitor is recommended. Adjust detail level, V Detail level and Detail Coring. There is no "perfect" setting because each scene shot always has different lighting.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Javier Lopez
on Oct 27, 2012 at 6:53:04 pm

Chris,

I feel the same, I had spend 3 years of mi life saving $8000 to purchase this HPX300, I live overseas now, I feel that my money has gone to the garbage. I am trying to seek help in other forums to, hopefully I can resolve this issue, but certainly, I will never purchase Panasonic products again.

Return to posts index

Jeff Cadge
on Oct 27, 2012 at 10:50:57 pm

Hello Javier,

I too experienced a lot of noise on a recent exterior shoot using the HPX300 with ND shooting wide open.
As pointed out this camera was always noisy which is brought out more when compared to the larger sensor cameras.
We now shoot mostly with the C300 which is very quiet and when compared to the HPX300 you really see the noise in the HPX300. This particular shoot we needed a smooth servo zoom shot that the HPX300 provided so we used a filter in FCP, http://www.neatvideo.com/ which help reduce the noise.

The filter softens the image which helped us in this case because the person was older and helped smooth out his skin.

Best,

Jeff Cadge

Return to posts index

Javier Lopez
on Oct 28, 2012 at 10:03:00 pm

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the response, but using plugins increases the render time, also, NOISE should not be an issue with this high end camera, what a disappointment with Panasonic.

Regards,

Javier.

Return to posts index

John Stephens
on Dec 23, 2012 at 1:02:09 am

We are having the same issues with our 370, but they seem to be most noticeable when we are trying to force the camera to deliver a tighter depth of field. Our shooter was using full ND inside with the stock lens wide open. The resulting image was full of noise and kind of soft.

We then took the exact same scene, lost the ND and took our HMI lit shot to to F5.7 and the difference was like night and day. Noise was gone and the image very sharp. But the tight depth of field was now unlimited.

I think the real lesson here is that in most avail stock lens/camera packages, the glass provided with the 370 is crap. Why do you think Panasonic forces you to take the stock lens vs. offering a reasonable up charge for the avail higher quality lens ?

I think the real lesson here is don't expect to get an image from a 1/3 inch chip that can compete with the popular DSLR look. And second don't expect pro results from a package lens that likely costs Panasonic about $500.

Panasonic takes some of blame for over selling the 370 while delaying and then over pricing the new 600, which I wish I had bought. But with my 370 now not worth very much anymore, my days of being a 100% Panasonic shop are likely over. A new Af200 would be considered if it comes soon. I also have to take some of the blame. The Sony D600 Betacam the 370 replaced had $18K in glass on it. I must have been blinded by the 370 price and good looking HD image shot under perfect conditions.

But my next camera will be likely be from Canon as the 370 gets relegated to lowered projects. With all the Canon glass we own for our 7D and 5D, Panasonic is in a very tough spot.

I still would love to see what the 370 would do with some REAL glass.

Return to posts index

Michel Gallone
on Apr 12, 2013 at 8:55:38 pm

One thing have a hard Time understanding is why the noise increases so much when opening the lens . I get the fact that when you play with a tight depth of field, you do notice more the noise on the out of focus part of the image. That happens on all cameras. But it should not happen in a terrible way like people seem to be experiencing.
It really seems like if when you open the lens you also increase gain automatically. Could there be a kind of hidden gain stage control that stays on even when the camera is in manual mode...
Anyway that is very scary.
Because even if the lens is not top quality that should not affect it.

Michel Gallone
Sowatt Music sàrl
Music Post and Shooting
http://sowattmusic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]