FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX370 Focus out of whack- Production Monitor?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Leahy
HPX370 Focus out of whack- Production Monitor?
on Sep 12, 2012 at 9:37:22 pm

Hey Guys, My HPX370 focus is constantly off. It is really frustrating. The part of the frame in focus looks great...too bad my subject is often behind or in front of it. Can somebody help me get focus either by changing settings on viewfinder or by recommending a good production monitor to use with it? It's really getting annoying when I record footage that looks in focus but play it back and suddenly its out.

Thanks guys,

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: HPX370 Focus out of whack- Production Monitor?
on Sep 13, 2012 at 5:01:48 am

You need to begin by adjusting your back focus on your lens.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Sep 13, 2012 at 2:20:36 pm

Use the focus assist feature on the camera if possible. If the subject is moving, it's a bit more difficult. Possibly use a smaller iris opening for more depth of field?

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Nov 9, 2012 at 5:15:47 pm

This camera will only acquire a sharp focus when the f-stop is between 4-5.6. The last third of the zoom turns the picture to mud when using the stock lens. Chromatic aberration is also present when using stock lens. Attached is a screen grab of a test we performed. The stock lens on the right an upgraded 20x Fujinon on the left. This is as sharp as we could get these cameras while at full zoom. Notice the aberration present in the image on the right (stock lens). Cameras are great in controlled environments where the subject is rather close. We purchased five 370's to use with our new HD production truck and have been fighting focus issues at IMAG and sporting events from the first day we rolled out.

http://www.metv.ws/bb/370Lens_test.png

Return to posts index

John Stephens
on Feb 4, 2013 at 1:38:53 am

We are about to throw in the towel on our 370. We have followed all the fixes you quote, but still the focus in very unpredictable. Had the back focus checked with a chart and it tests fine. But in the field any minor challenge will create a poor focus. Replacing the horrible stock lens I guess would help, but I don’t think this 1/3” camera is worth the investment. Han anybody tested the better lens options to see what advantages at what price are available ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]