FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying P2 Cards using Mac Hog tied

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Maloney
Copying P2 Cards using Mac Hog tied
on Aug 20, 2012 at 9:02:45 am

Hi All,

I lamented below that with the arrival of Mountain Lion the ability to boot into 32Bit Mode so as we Mac owners see P2 cards is gone.

Wolf brought us up to speed.

[Wolf Austad] "The way I understand it is that version 2.40 P2 Driver for OSX Lion will work with Panasonic's P2 readers, but not with a generic CardBus slot (f.ex. Sonnet QiO). USB volumes should mount without driver. If you have a generic CardBus slot you would need to boot in 32bit."

OK so P2 Driver2.40 for OSX Lion supports Panasonic products but not QIO? Mountain Lion - who knows??

Does Sonnet need to present the QIO via their drivers to the mac as a Panasonic? How do they do this? Does Panasonic prevent them from writing/accessing drivers? I'm guessing they take money from Sonnet in licensing the two P2 slots in the QIO.

Panasonic really needs to recognise there are alternatives to their products out there and embrace them and share the driver love!!

I have a recognised Panasonic AJ-PCD20. Its alleged FW800 slot is no faster than the USB2.0. Always has been. Apparently the FW800 enabler is cheap - Its History.

You can only use P2 Formatter via Firewire not USB what gives? There seems to be so many variables in using P2 on Mac.

So I use the QIO to try and speed up off load times BUT can't use the QIO to format/rename as soon as the card is copied. Even in 32 bit mode. I must wait till all the cards are copied, reconnect the PCD20 via FW800 and reformat.

Whats with Panasonic and P2 drivers for Mac?

Over the life of my ( excellent ) HPX3000, handling the card off load has been a disaster for me - and I'm an enthusiast. card off load maladies have been major factor in XDCAM now dominating the Television Networks freelance requirement here in Australia.

F series cards are on the horizon - finally with faster off load speeds available from the card itself.

I'd like to spring for a Retina MBPRO. Mountain Lion maybe CS6 - a whole new world of speed and convenience.

Where's the Panasonic Thunderbolt P2 off loader - with five slots?

C'mon Panasonic get with the program. There's a whole bunch of Mac owners in this industry - not everyone uses P2 in Europe and Japan and the USA in TV Networks on Windoze.

Best

Tim Maloney
Managing Director
Axis Films Melbourne Australia
tim@axisfilms.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]