FORUMS: list search recent posts

Save FCP Project or raw footage?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Parsons
Save FCP Project or raw footage?
on Jun 27, 2012 at 4:32:29 pm

I am a newcomer to P2 since February and I was burning thru disks like ... dunno.

I'm shooting dvcpro and keeping 2 copies of the directories from the P2 card. I also keep 2 copies of the Compressor files that build the DVD. I observered my disk space disappearing when I also kept the FCP Transfer data, which essentially duplicates the raw footage.

So, I am throwing away the FCP project after verifying the DVD. If I kept a copy of the FCP project in place of one of the sets of raw footage, is that sensible?

I'd like to have the project data, but am paranoid about the raw footage. I miss the tape as much as I don't miss it, and I'm not ready to plunk down for LTO, yet.

Regards,

Return to posts index

Chris Lehmann
Re: Save FCP Project or raw footage?
on Jun 27, 2012 at 4:44:11 pm

I just trash the MXF files once I have everything imported into FCP7 and verified. I much prefer having sensibly named, self contained QuickTime files over a directory of cryptically named P2 directories. You aren't transcoding anything so it doesn't take very long, and there isn't any loss of quality. The only negative I can think of is that if you are using a P2CMS database or any special meta-data, that might be lost. I sort/catalog all my clips in FCP so this isn't an issue in my workflow.

Return to posts index

Joel Freedman
on Jun 27, 2012 at 7:15:12 pm

I always save the P2. It's the original.

Joel Freedman
http://www.2hungrydogs.com
twitter.com/2HungryDogs

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
on Jun 27, 2012 at 8:22:12 pm

Thanks, guys. I wasn't clear enuf. But I think I got the answer I want from the two of you.

I have been saving 2 copies of the P2 footage on different hard disks. And, after creating the DVD stuff in Compressor, I keep two copies of the compressor output "originals" on 2 different disks.

Thus, I have 2 originals and 2 finished copies.

I also happen to keep a DVD for myself of the final product, but it's the least archival.

I still want 2 "original" copies, but am considering saving the FCP project (with the .mov-wrapped data) and only keeping one copy of the raw P2 footage.

Does this make sense? Is the image set from the FCP Transfer exactly equivalent to the raw P2 footage except for the wrapper?

Many thanks, Bill

Return to posts index

Chris Lehmann
on Jun 27, 2012 at 8:42:08 pm

That makes sense to me. I do keep the original P2 files on hard drives for a while after completing a project, after that just my QuickTime wrapped copies are saved with the project folder. My reasoning is that if I go back to re-edit a video from a while back, I'll start with the same FCP project and am unlikely to log and transfer the files again anyway.

The QuickTime files are the same DVCPROHD data that's in the P2 folder so the only possible loss is some meta-data, and I'm not even 100% sure that any of it is discarded. The only other thing I'd watch out for is if you have a bad or damaged file, it may be easier to recover out of the P2 data than the QuickTime copy. This is why I always check my clips for playback before I delete the working copy of the original P2 folders.

With what you are suggesting the worst that could happen is:

1. You have a damaged or lost QuickTime file and need to re-wrap it from the P2 data.

2. You lose the P2 data but you can still use the QuickTime clips.

Make sure to back up your FCP projects on two drives as well though!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 28, 2012 at 6:24:04 am

Tapeless workflow takes awhile to get used to. I've been doing it exclusively since 2008 and have never looked back.

Make sure you offload the camera originals (P2 cards) onto either a RAID 5, RAID 1 or to 2 separate hard drives. If you ever have to come back to the project, it's like grabbing a tape off the shelf. Never delete these files unless you know you will never touch the project again.

Once you are done editing in FCP, you can delete the QuickTime files. I only make a self-contained movies for project less than 20 minutes. Most of my stuff goes on the web so I usually have copies of 720p 6Mbs h.264's.

Always save the FCP project file, grfx, sound FX, VOs, music or any other assets used in the project and back them up to DVD.

If you ever need to re-edit your FCP project, all you need to do is open the project
connect the hard drive that contains the original P2
open Log and Transfer, select hard drive
Select Batch Capture and FCP does its thing.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
on Jun 28, 2012 at 12:36:09 pm

Steve, in your post, are you saying I can keep the FCP project and delete the Transfer (.mov) files? This would be the best world: I have 2 originals of the P2 footage, on different drives. If I wanted to work with the same project, I would have the info regarding the edits and could re-Transfer the data and point the project to it.

If this is what I should have gotten from your post, fantastic! If not, then bummer.

If I got it, would you say a little bit more about Batch Capture?

tnx, Bill

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 29, 2012 at 5:21:41 am

It's very simple. After you delete the MOVs form your system, to re edit the project, open the FCP project. All media will be offline. Connect the Hard Drive with the P2 data and open Log and Transfer. You can re transfer any or all the clips in your project by selecting them in your Bin or the Timeline and select Batch Capture. Pop up menu asks all clips or selected. That's it.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
on Jun 29, 2012 at 1:52:59 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Steve. I'll try this over the weekend.

Best, Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]