FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on transcoding MXF to another format

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jones
Advice on transcoding MXF to another format
on Jun 20, 2012 at 4:14:11 am

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to transcode the source MXF files to another format with the best possible quality conversion.

The amount of storage space used is not an issue nor is the amount of time it takes to make the conversions.

We are adding a small amount of HPX footage (shot at 1080 24PA) to a film that was shot on 16mm. We are finishing in DaVinci Resolve using 2k scans, 10 bit, 444 DPX.

We are trying to match the HPX footage to the 16mm (meaning it's not supposed to look like News footage, video, etc)

I did one test converting the MXF to ProRes HQ and the results look very good (From what I understand the converted the footage from 8 bit to 10 bit - I know its still 8 bit - but I think for color correction having it in 10 bit is helpful).

I did another test and transcoded to ProRes 4444 (which made it 16 bit) and found that now some of the footage is clipping at the high end..... Which sent me here to ask for advice since... I don't know why it did that.

I've also heard that with Frame Controls turned OFF in Compressor that the conversion from 8 bit to 10 bit is done in 8 bit. But with it turned ON, it's done in 10 bit floating point, BUT, when I did a test with it turned on I started to see jagged edges along straight lines... I don't know why.

We are using Apple Compressor, but we could buy Soronson Squeeze if it yields better results. I'm on a Mac, which you have probably guessed.

Ideally I'd like to transcode to ProRes 4444 or DPX.

Any tips or advice from experience on how to make the highest possible conversion for finishing in Resolve would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]