FORUMS: list search recent posts

Focus Enhancements FS-100 and QT

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Lister
Focus Enhancements FS-100 and QT
on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:53:33 am

I recently bought a Focus Enhancements FS-100 100 Gig drive for my HVX200. I really want to be able to shoot in Quicktime. However, even though the video plays back fine through the camera, none of it will play on my PC. I can hear the audio, but no video. BTW, the audio seems to cut out about halfway through trying to pay it anyway.

I'm running WIN 7 Pro 64bit with the latest QT download, as far as I know. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
Re: Focus Enhancements FS-100 and QT
on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:51:35 pm

I use one of these, the FS100-250 to dup the original footage on my HPX250. I also used it with the 100B.

I don't know what your camera setting are, but it recorded correctly with both the DV camera (100B) and the P2 camera (250). On the DV camera, I had the FS100 set for DV; on the 250, for DVCPRO-HD.

When I copy the P2 directories to the computer, everything works properly with the "viewer" in the FCP Log and Transfer. And, the sound is ok when editing and on the final DVD.

I see that there is a Quicktime setting on the FS100. The question is: does your camera send everything to the FS100?

Regards, Bill

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on Jun 18, 2012 at 1:55:29 pm

Bill, I'm pretty sure the settings are correct, since the video/audio play fine thru the camera. I'm not using FCP, but Premiere CS4. But beyond that, the QT doesn't play even on the desktop. I get some audio but no picture. I'm also getting a message about a component missing from QT. The thing is, they don't tell ya what is missing!!

Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jun 18, 2012 at 3:33:13 pm

What Quicktime formats are you recording? If you are recording DV50 or DVCProHD, do you have the codecs to play back those files on your PC? Those codecs were always included with Final Cut on a Mac, but often aren't on most PC setups.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 18, 2012 at 9:39:55 pm

Phil you need to have the codecs installed in order to see them. Sell your FS-100 and invest in P2 cards. Premiere will see the MXFs from the P2 cards natively.

The only work around I can think of is to use the files on a Mac with FCP.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on Jun 18, 2012 at 10:41:40 pm

I have P2 cards, but they are real expensive for me. I picked up the drive on ebay for $350! I'll just stick with that and my two P2 16Gig cards. I can at least shoot in P2 on the drive!

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jun 19, 2012 at 12:28:15 am

Hi Phil,

Try the 'Organize to P2' function in the FireStore after recording - that should re-arrange the MOV files to P2 MXF files that PPro CS4 should import.

http://www.focusinfo.com/dynassets/documents/products/FS-100v4.0_UserGuide%...

Basically, the DVCProHD MOV files that the FireStore is recording need a QuickTime DVCProHD Codec to open on Windows in QT Player and other applications that support QuickTIme(we sell one called Calibrated{Q} DVCProHD Decode for Windows). However I had thought that PPro CS4 understood most DVCProHD MOV files natively (i.e. without a codec) but I guess PPro CS4 doesn't understand the DVCProHD MOV file format you're recording in.

Also - the 'Organize to P2' would probably be your best option as

(1) It doesn't cost anything

(2) The MOV files that the FireStore creates can sometimes have audio tracks in MOV files where the duration in the MOV files is reported as much larger than it should be (hence the audio 'cutting out' - which is not really the audio 'cutting out' but actually playing longer than it should). This is not a problem with FCP where FCP will truncate the audio length to match the video length but other applications don't usually do that.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Chris Jeremy
on Jun 22, 2012 at 8:09:38 am

Just a question ...

If you're on a PC using CS4, why use Quicktime?

I go from an FS-100 to Vegas via Raylight Ultra on a PC, QT always seems such a PITA!!

Return to posts index

Randy Robinson
on Oct 16, 2013 at 2:52:48 am

don't know if you're still having trouble? What you need is something that plays DVCPRO HD like Quicktime PRO 7. Not 10! Or MPEG Stream clip find it at squared5.com I have a FS-100 and a Mac Pro with FCP so I have no problems with it. Almost nothing else can read DVCPRO HD files. VLC can play them but can't convert them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]