FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX-250 for Sports

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Zapotocky
HPX-250 for Sports
on Jun 7, 2012 at 9:04:37 pm

Hello All,

I'm looking at getting some new HPX-250 cameras for our local sports coverage of local high school sports. The SDI feeds from the cameras will go back to a switcher in our truck. We currently use the HVX-200.

Does anyone have experience using these in a sports environment with the new 3MOS sensor? The football games are mostly at night.

Thanks,
Larry

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
Re: HPX-250 for Sports
on Jun 11, 2012 at 2:45:24 pm

Any suggestions for using a different camera?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:10:29 pm

Larry

I believe the 250 with the 3MOS will work fine. If you are following the action, you shouldn't notice any jellocam. Keep your cameras on tripods or other support devices and you should be good to go.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:15:51 pm

Thanks for the response Steve. They will fit in the budget too. Have you ever used a HPX370?

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
on Jun 15, 2012 at 7:03:03 pm

I use this camera to photograph dance -- this should be a good analogue with sports -- and it works extremely well.

In my case, I prefocus and turn off autofocus. I take it that you will be using autofocus for the sports coverage.

I have used it with autofocus to photography my grandson, a moving target, in an inside room, and it focused perfectly. Thus, it should handle the sports activity just fine.

Regards, Bill

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on Jun 15, 2012 at 7:56:44 pm

Thanks for the info Bill! Have you noticed any low light issues when the camera is zoomed in all the way?

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
on Jun 16, 2012 at 1:31:59 am

Larry, I shoot in some pretty low light for stage productions of dance (why do lighting designers think the audience wants to see dance in the dark?) and I don't usually have to use more than 6db of gain. When the lighting designer is particularly inspired, I use 12db.
Everything looks fine.
This chip gives nice, clear and sharp images.
Best, Bill

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on Jun 19, 2012 at 12:52:51 pm

That's good to know. I was concerned about zooming all the way in at night at a football stadium and have a low light issue. On a side note, I've run into similar lighting issues with dances. I agree with you totally!

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
on Jun 19, 2012 at 2:00:38 pm

Larry, I am typically about 100 feet from the stage when videoing. I expect you'll be about double that in the stadium, but you'll have better illumination either in the daytime or under nite lites, so surely you'll have better luminance than from a stage.

This oughta be a piece of cake. And, the viewers won't be distracted by the couple fooling around in the 8th row because there won't be enough lite there.

An interesting comparison: I have video and photo from the same dance with the same lighting, the pix taken at Dress and the video, in performance. This camera does much better at low light than the camera did. The camera is a Leica M9 and the shots at an equivalent of iso 3200 do not appear as bright as the video at +6db from about 2x the distance (or 1/4 the luminance).

This is pretty revealing to me -- the camera is rated at .4 lumens sensitivity and it really delivers.

Ironically, I have been using Panasonic cameras because I was very pleased with their Leica-designed lenses. The quality of the image is really excellent. So, of course, I bought the Panasonic without the Leica lens. I do really like the 24mm-equivalent lens and the balance. This camera is more compact and half-again as heavy as the 100B I had been using, so it handles much more nicely.

Also, I am very pleased with the HD versus DV quality.

BTW, I just bot a Sachtler Ace tripod set. It is excellent. At the tallest extension, the camera is just above my head, so up just over 6 feet. This works very well to be above the Just-gotta-pee'ers who walk down the central aisle and appear in the image *during* the dance. Where ARE their mothers: they definitely need a head-slap.

In order to work more easily with the Ace at the tallest height, I ordered the telescoping handle. This will work much better (just ignore the fact that this handle is *half* the cost of the entire tripod rig).

Regards, Bill

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on Jun 19, 2012 at 3:29:26 pm

When your @ +6dB, do you see a lot of noise?

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
on Jun 19, 2012 at 5:25:11 pm

No noticable noise @ 6db. The image is clearer with 0 gain, tho.

So, the image is sharp @ 6db, but not as clear as with no gain. I see lesser clarity at 12db, tho I wouldn't necessarily call it grain; it's just less clear than at 6db or 0db.

I shoot most of my concerts at +6db because I'm 100 feet away. I did a concert from the mid aisle and didn't need gain that time. Funny how distance robs us of light when we're indoors.

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
on Jun 19, 2012 at 5:53:26 pm

One other item I have noticed with this camera.

I use fixed focus for my dance videography. I pre-focus manually before the show begins.

At fixed focus, when I zoom in 100%, the focus goes soft. If I back out a hair, it's right again.

It may be my sample or else it's a problem with the lens design.

Since I know about it (on my camera), I don't zoom in fully.

Maybe another owner of a 250 has noticed this?

Regards, Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]