FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filming a Surgery and need advice

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno silva
Filming a Surgery and need advice
on May 22, 2012 at 9:44:51 pm

Hey everyone. Next month I will be filming a 1hour long surgery and need some help with the project.
I am renting all my gear, and here's what I have in mind.

Panasonic HVX 200 camera
2 64GB P2 cards
Sony 5' Monitor
Glidecam CamCrane 200
Camera Controller

My main question is in regards to the Crane, will that be good to get a nice over head shot?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Filming a Surgery and need advice
on May 23, 2012 at 12:32:53 am

Have the surgeons approved that? What if you drop something???

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 23, 2012 at 1:43:32 am

A GoPro...SECURELY fastened to something the medical staff allows you to secure it to. WHen it comes to filming medical procedures, you need to be as out of the way as possible. be invisible...not get in anyones way. LIFE is on the line...no video footage is worth a human life. You need to talk to the staff and see what they allow, and not allow.

Yes, I have worked on medical docs before.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

bruno silva
on May 23, 2012 at 2:13:26 pm

Nothing is approved yet and I haven't rented anything yet. I've been in the OR many times and know the staff and surgeon for the case and am also very familiar with the operation itself.

Instead of the crane, I'm thinking a C-stand attached to a monopod with the camera on one end and sandbags on the other end. I would also a monitor and controller as well..

I will also look into the GoPro. Are you referring to a specific model?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 23, 2012 at 2:21:50 pm

There is only one model of GoPro.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

bruno silva
on May 23, 2012 at 2:50:59 pm

I'll look into it. Does it have zoom/focus control? Can I attached a monitor to it?

I'm thinking a HVX200 on a jib arm attached to a c-stand to get the overhead shot and a DSLR with a macro lens on a tripod or handheld.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 23, 2012 at 6:45:29 pm

No. A GoPro is a mounted camera with a wide angle lens that you cannot zoom. You can monitor though...mini HDMI.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on May 25, 2012 at 4:47:25 pm

I doubt very much that the hospital will allow any gear to be placed directly over any surgical area. There is a sterile zone around the operating area that must be respected and kept clean. Field cameras and gear aren't exactly sterile. I've shot a number of surgical procedures and have never actually positioned a camera directly over the operating area. There is too much risk of infection from anything falling into the sterile area. Not to mention what would happen when that sandbag slips off of the C-stand. Unhappy surgeons are not fun to deal with. Insurance companies even less so. Any surgery is very serious and most if not all medical facilities are not going to risk the chance of infection or an accident in the operating theater. It would be best to discuss your plans with the folks in charge at the facility before making any further plans.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 26, 2012 at 1:14:47 am

Yeah seriously- a C-Stand overhanging in the OR? That'd be a hot item for any malpractice lawyer to latch onto...

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]