FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to compress my files

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Bracken
Best way to compress my files
on Apr 30, 2012 at 10:28:02 pm

I have a nice work flow of shooting HD footage on a P2 card and then immediately bring the files into my computer using Final Cut Pro X. That converts the P2 to MOV files which play real nice. I want to create a backup of the files but the MOV files are huge. What do you recommend? I think converting each file to MP4 would take too long, right?

I read that I could create a DMG file. Does anybody else do this? What do you recommend?

Archiving onto a hard drive isn't an option. I'm looking to archive on a physical medium either blu-ray discs, DVDs or CDs. Thanks,

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Best way to compress my files
on Apr 30, 2012 at 10:52:55 pm

[Robert Bracken] "Archiving onto a hard drive isn't an option."
You won't be in business very long if you do not back up to hard drives.

Correct P2 workflow is begins by backing up the P2 card to multiple hard drives or a RAID 1. These are your camera masters. When you are finished editing your project, delete the MOV QT Wrappers. If you need to go back to the project all you need to do is attach the hard drive that contains the original P2 data.

Invest in ShotPut Pro ($99) from ImagineProducts.

[Robert Bracken] "I'm looking to archive on a physical medium either blu-ray discs, DVDs or CDs."

Unless you shoot less than 4 gig per shoot, DVD and CD is way out of the question. LTO is going to be your most expensive option.

Invest in hard drives for P2 data. That is your least expensive option.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Robert Bracken
on May 1, 2012 at 2:32:35 am

I disagree. Hard drives are very unstable. We've had too man go down. Archiving on a medium with no moving parts is the best.

Currently we shoot on minidv and when we're done we put it on a shelf. Perfect archive solution.

With p2 I don't know what to do. The file sizes are unruly. Since fcpx handles mp4 so well, I would like to archive it in that format. Makes sense to me. Large HD file sizes? No problem-o!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 1, 2012 at 12:25:58 pm

Redundancy is key.
Back up the P2 Media to 2 or hard drives.
Spin up the hard drives that are sitting on the shelf every 6 months.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 1, 2012 at 6:49:36 pm

[Robert Bracken] "With p2 I don't know what to do. The file sizes are unruly. Since fcpx handles mp4 so well, I would like to archive it in that format.

Disagree with hard drives all you want. You are going to have to learn the P2 workflow or move to a different camera such as the JVC which records in mp4.

P2 files size are large because they have a higher bit rate compered to HDV, XDCAM EX, AVCHD, etc... Higher bit rate=better quality

I have used the hard drive technique for over 4 years and have yet to lose a drive. My data is backed up twice.

LTO or SSD are options but are very expensive.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]