FORUMS: list search recent posts

PCD2 Not working in Lion

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Rich
PCD2 Not working in Lion
on Feb 13, 2012 at 5:13:03 pm

Panasonic actually has drivers for this, but I can't get the P2Formatter app to stop crashing when I put a P2 card in the PCD2. The reader will work fine until a card is plugged in. Also, the OS recognizes that there's a card there, and it can be read. I can just copy the contents, but that doesn't help in the formatting. I also tried to just empty out the directories by deleting files, but the camera didn't like that.

My problem is recording long shows where I don't have the time to format the cards in the camera due to continuous recording. It worked when I first did the install because I checked. I would have backed out of Lion immediately.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Kent

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: PCD2 Not working in Lion
on Feb 14, 2012 at 3:03:29 am

A system restart usually clears the problem.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Kent Rich
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:21:04 pm

I tried that first actually. No help there.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 15, 2012 at 12:41:08 am

Reformat the cards in the camera then try to reformat them using P2Formatter.

I do experience this every now and then. A restart always works for me.

Worst case scenario, delete P2Formatter and reinstall. Repair your computers permissions (Disk Utility).

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Kent Rich
on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:37:00 pm

Thanks for your help and advice on this Steve. None of these things worked in this case. I hate to have to back out Lion just for this, but it appears as though I'm going to have to do that. You wouldn't happen to know how to interpret an Apple Crash Report would you?

I can't believe I'm the only one on the planet who's experienced this issue. Sucks. But again, I thank you for responding.

Kent

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:21:02 am

Hard to troubleshoot. Definitely a conflict somewhere. I can't interpret crash report. Latest version is 1.50.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Feb 27, 2012 at 7:09:36 pm

I believe that the P2 card drivers only operate in 32bit mode. Try restarting the mac holding down the 3 and 2 keys simultaneously to start in 32bit mode. Hold down 6 and 4 to restart in 64 bit mode.

Return to posts index

Chris Phillips
on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:31:07 pm

In my experience with a PCD20, the P2 Formatter application only works when the device is connected via Firewire. I get generic icons and P2 Formatter app doesn't see the P2 cards when connected via USB. I have this issue with 10.6 and 10.7. It appears to be a problem with USB only on these systems. Firewire works fine.

This probably doesn't help you though since the PCD2 is USB only.

Anyone else have any insight into USB and P2 on a Mac?

Return to posts index

Kent Rich
on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:11:17 pm

Thanks for all the comments. I actually wrote up a ticket to Panasonic, and they couldn't help me. What I ended up doing was a complete rebuild of the laptop with a clean install of Lion. I know. Drag. But, everything works as it should now.

During the rebuild, I created the smallest partition on the drive I could (in addition to the system drive of course), and put a completely clean image of Lion, with the P2 drivers only on there. That way, if I ever run into trouble during a shoot, I can always boot up into the clean install and copy the footage off the PCD2.

Return to posts index

Jack Gauer
on May 18, 2012 at 3:23:25 pm

P2Formatter.app requries 32 bit mode to run. Just "Get Info" on the app and click on the "run in 32-bit mode"

Return to posts index

Kent Rich
on May 18, 2012 at 3:46:29 pm

Thanks for that info. I tried the process, and although it didn't crash the application, it wouldn't format the card properly. It corrupted it somehow and could not be read. I then had to reformat it in the HVX to be readable on my other system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]