FORUMS: list search recent posts

Full quality playback from HPG-20?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Peacock
Full quality playback from HPG-20?
on Feb 8, 2012 at 4:14:49 pm

I am learning how to archive P2 camera cards onto an external 1TB LaCie rugged drive (connected to the HPG-20 via USB Host Mode). (format is 1080/60i)

Now finding that the playback is a skip-frame version, I see that the Panasonic manual seems to be suggesting that I'm only going to be able to `preview' the footage when it's coming off an external, S-formated drive. (p.78 of the manual has a whole paragraph of caveats. It's not possible to know if there are workarounds for some/any of these).

I was hoping to do sat feeds straight from the HPG-20/external drive combo, delivering via HD-SDI.

Does anyone know if this is going to be possible, or are we straight back to needing a computer and interpretive software in the mix? The goal here was to be able to feed directly from the HDD, while the cards were back in service for another shoot.

If the correct playback cabling is from the drive to the 'Device' B-type USB port on the HPG-20, that would require a cable that was B-type on one end, and mini-USB on the other (for the LaCie drive). Am I on the right track here??

Grant.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Full quality playback from HPG-20?
on Feb 9, 2012 at 2:28:38 pm

[Grant Peacock] "Does anyone know if this is going to be possible, or are we straight back to needing a computer and interpretive software in the mix?

This is NOT possible.

The HPG20 is meant to be a playback and record device. You record to P2 cards and playback from P2 cards. While you can offload cards directly to a hard drive, you can not playback from the hard drive.

The goal here was to be able to feed directly from the HDD, while the cards were back in service for another shoot."

Purchase more P2 cards to make this happen.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Grant Peacock
on Feb 10, 2012 at 10:06:27 pm

Thanks Steve. If I were to seek out a camera-attached drive-based solution for ongoing storage and playback, are there any devices out there that will accomplish this?

I've seen others using FireStore, but not with P2. I've been warned that since FireWire is not a locking connector, there are some inherent risks with this approach. I would most likely aim to shoot onto cards as backup, but have the drive-based device be the hand-off for the client, as they head for their bureau.

They really need something with an HD-SDI output so that they can simply treat this like an in-line VTR - ie : hook up via BNC and begin playback. Is this going to be possible in the world of P2 cameras? It's important to leave computers out of this and make it a standalone device. I may be seeking something that doesn't exist.

Grant.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 13, 2012 at 1:22:59 am

You can still the use the HPG20. If the client wants the footage immediately, have them rent P2 cards and they can take them with them. Another product is from a competitor, the AJA KiPro. Same applies, client can rent and take the hard drive with them.

other products:
AJA KiPro Mini
Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle

The FS100 Firestore can do this. As mentioned above, not 100% reliable.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Phil Yunker
on Feb 13, 2012 at 3:42:40 am

Steve,
sorry to bust this thread but I have a question for you about the HPG-20, seems like you have one or have used one.
I'm looking into buying one for playback from P2 Cards straight to a EVS system via HDSDI.
Any experience doing this? or what applications have you used the HPG-20 for?
Any pro's, con's or look out for this you can tell me about?

Thanks.

PHIL

PHIL YUNKER
Vanguard Media & Entertainment
http://www.philyunker.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/philyunker

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 14, 2012 at 3:29:33 am

Personally, I have never owned or used. I did get to see a pre-release version that caught my interest.

The HPG20 can work well with the EVS.
Pros: AVCIntra recording

I have used the AJA KiPro with the EVS. Also the ioHD in/out via FCP in TV truck.
While I love and support Panasonic products, the KiPro offers more in/out options. It only records to ProRes codec. Works well with FCP.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]