FORUMS: list search recent posts

Traveling with equipment

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
Traveling with equipment
on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:00:32 pm

I've got two HPX370s and a shit ton of equipment to take with me to Europe. Some suggested (they have done it in the past) that I throw the HPX370s in my carry-ons and all the other equipment and my clothing in the real camera bags (since they won't be allowed as carryons). I was able to successfully do all of this but then another seasoned traveler looked at my camera bags and said that some of the items would probably be destroyed in the luggage compartment. Other than the usual (foam, bubble wrap) is there anything special I can do to bolster my camera bags?

Return to posts index

Philip Merten
Re: Traveling with equipment
on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:24:46 pm

A 370 in it's camera bag is allowed as carry on. Only time its not is on a comuter flight.

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:57:43 pm

The bag doesn't fit the required dimensions so I am surprised. I would hate to go to the airport and find this isn't true so is there some place I can see this in writing?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 7, 2012 at 2:08:55 pm

Each airline has its own requirements. It is their discretion to allow you on-board. Looks like you are traveling alone. If not, distribute your gear. You will need to remove the lens' for the 2 hpx370's. Airlines are pretty strict when it comes to carry ons. International travel allows 2 checked bags. Petrol and Kata have the equipment you need for your cameras. Pelican cases for your accessories.

Protecting your gear is your first priority. Do what you have to at all costs.
If any of your gear is damaged, the airline WILL NOT pay for the damage.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Feb 8, 2012 at 7:21:53 am

I'm just curious, what do you use your second 370 for? Multicamera angles for interviews or something else?

I ask because I'm thinking of getting a second camera body for multi camera work, mostly interviews.

THanks!

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Feb 8, 2012 at 12:19:42 pm

Last time I flew w/ my 370, I took the lens off and put it in my laptop bag with the audio gear.
Put cam body in a carry luggage wrapped in clothes.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Feb 11, 2012 at 9:01:04 am

I'd look into actual carry-on bags from PortaBrace or the like... they're not going to lug as much gear as your main case would, but they'll get your camera small enough and protected enough to carry-on. I've seen some where you remove the lens, and others where the case is almost more like armor than a bag.

I'd also make sure you don't have the camera TOO stripped down, as you may be required to power it up and show that it works. Of course this means you'll need a battery right there with the camera, but I believe most batteries are carry-on these days anyways. Do some research on Lithium Ion batteries if you have them, I believe they've relaxed some in the past few years, but there may still be strict rules on how and where they are packed and even what sizes of batteries you can fly with.

Generally you're only allowed one carry-on (plus one small bag) so if you've got two cameras, I hope you've got a travel partner.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Ryan Pratzel
on Feb 15, 2012 at 1:58:08 pm

We travel with gear frequently and we've learned a few tricks over the years. First off, know your airlines rules. If you get a gate agent who is strict, a standard PortaBrace carry-on bag for an HPX370, HPX500, HPX2000, etc is too big. It's over the size limit.

We often travel with our HPX500, HPX170 and our 250. When we travel with the small cameras, they fit in a smaller PortaBrace bag that goes on board. We bought a bag that will fit in an overhead on a standard plane and it fits under the seat on commuter jets. (CRJ200, 700, 900) Avoid Embrarer 135/145 aircraft.

With the 500 we break it down and carry it on. We have a Cinebags 25 backpack. The body of the camera fits in the bag. We put the viewfinder and shotgun mic in the top pouch in the bag. There's also a laptop pouch in the bag. We use the side pockets for wireless mics and (2) Dionic 90s. The lens goes in a Pelican case that goes on board. It's briefcase sized. This way the camera never leaves my sight.

We use TufPak cases for tripods, light stands, etc and pack any other accessories in Pelican cases. We always try to rent lighting on-location if possible.

My other big tip, know the different types of aircraft and what they have in terms of on-board storage. Most camera bags will fit in the overheads on Airbus and Boeing AC. When you get into the commuter planes some are better than others.

Ryan Pratzel
Executive Producer | Creative Liquid Productions
creativeliquid.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]