FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fake depth of field

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
Fake depth of field
on Feb 6, 2012 at 10:07:05 pm

Any ideas how I could take footage from a combination of SLRs and hpx370s to look the same in terms of depth of field. Any good camera settings other than the usual iris and zoom?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Fake depth of field
on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:32:18 am

ND filters and/or zoom all the way in. but there's a reason DSLRs sell because it's hard to fake this look. Can't you just get your hands on another DSLR and/or not to to make the camera be what it's not?

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Feb 7, 2012 at 1:48:13 am

For an upcoming symphonic concert we have 7 DSLRs and a friend of ours has two HPX370s. The issue with the DSLRs is that they can't zoom live which is very crucial for this production. We wanted to use the 370s to accomplish this.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 7, 2012 at 7:11:25 am

If it were me- I wouldn't worry then about getting them to fake shallow depth of field. Look at any concert film and you'll see a huge variety of depths of field from shot to shot as it progresses. Plan your shooting diagram accordingly and you'll do fine.

Noah

Call Box Training.

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Feb 7, 2012 at 11:58:30 am

I just don't think we're talking the difference that'll be present between these two types of cameras but I guess I have no choice.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Feb 7, 2012 at 3:42:48 pm

I agree with Noah. Unless you're shooting film narrative you shouldn't bother about the dept of field.

However, you may need to tweak another parameters to match your cameras, like color and sharpness.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 7, 2012 at 4:55:15 pm

Right exactly- I'd make sure to spend some time getting exposure, gamma and color balance similar looking between these cameras. Then you can really nail it in post when you grade. The reality of just about any production these days is multiple camera types, formats, resolutions, etc. Harmonizing all of that in your final edit is nothing to be afraid of, as long as you plan it that way from the beginning of the shoot.

Noah

Call Box Training.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]